Remove Winterlake from Competition Rotation

Nordramor

Veteran X
TAU has played Winterlake now in numerous scrims and a match.

There is no reasonable way to break a Phoenix turtle on the map. An intelligent team can craft a nigh unbreakable turtle for Phoenix.

It's not a fun map. If Phoenix gets the flag and wants to force a turtle, they will. Imperial will not break the turtle against a reasonably skilled team. It will take a remarkably superior Imperial team to break a Phoenix turtle (or tons of luck).

TAU requests that Winterlake be removed from competition rotation. We do not wish to play the map again, nor do we think that other teams will enjoy the long turtles.

Question: What, if anything, do you think could be done to improve the map for comp?

Would taking the energy field on the back door help out at all? Or maybe connecting it to a killable base asset?

Ah well. This was a problem back in the beta, and the dev team even tried to address it by redoing the Phoenix base entrance.

Something like making the bases the damn SAME, and easier to get into would be a novel idea.

They redid phoenix base by making the entrance 1 cm wider, and adding alittle gauntlet in the middle with corners u can get knocked into and owned at. awesome.

what about something like junk? a decent team could keep the flag forever just grappling around and crap. i dunno, alotta these maps are really unbalanced. i can understand why ppl don't want to play winterlake tho, it can get stupid if turtling starts. guess i'd agree w/ removing it.

GammA said:
Something like making the bases the damn SAME, and easier to get into would be a novel idea.
QUOTE]

no that is stupid, otherwise you might as well have it CoP Vs CoP. I think a new base design should be suggested. maybe a separate bottom entrance through the water below.

confidential said:
what about something like junk? a decent team could keep the flag forever just grappling around and crap. i dunno, alotta these maps are really unbalanced. i can understand why ppl don't want to play winterlake tho, it can get stupid if turtling starts. guess i'd agree w/ removing it.

There is some difference between Junk and Winterlake. Junk's an easy map to rape. You can keep a lot of O pressure going, keeping the enemy base(s) down, and chasing the enemy capper with snipers/chainers/plasma until he runs out of grapples and has to pass or reload. It's hard and sometimes frustrating, but doable. The grappler probably needs less ammo or some other minor change to make these kinds of standoffs less abusive.

But Winterlake has none of that. Phoenix will have it's base up most of the map if they play with some smart base D. The capper is inside, so you aren't even damaging him most of the time. He's also right next to all his spawn points, and all of his inventories. You don't even make it to the capper on Winterlake, much less get to try and kill him.

{A} PR24 said:
Someone needs to edit the map and remove the rear force fields so there is two ways into the base. Very simple fix for the map.
^

Although people would just stand on the hill behind the base, and spam mortars.

We spent an entire practice trying to break a grapple. In the end, the push inside and the fact that the flag landed right on my head for the return was a very lucky occurance. Yes turtling on this map is too overpowered.

what about something like junk? a decent team could keep the flag forever just grappling around and crap.

They do have the chance of breaking the grapple, or do what I do and just chain them. As concerns to turtling, it is very true that it happens, but if they were to make a rules about turtling no being allowed would work. I know CAL does this with Halo that any Warthog blocking or inside a base is illegal. Just stating it and people won't do it, and everyone knows when they get caught... demos. Eventually they will stop in scrims as well because it won't be tolerated in match.

I also support this statement. It can be a fun map but turtling on either side is difficult to stop.
I think some outside spawns would help this some. Opponents can penetrate the turtle barrier and kill a few people. But those people immediately spawn at the point of attack. Spawning outside occasionaly would help "Some".

I'm personally a big fan of Winterlake in competition. Our boys have played WL on just about every scrim/match we've had, and i have to say i don't have a problem with it. (Mostly because we don't turtle, and if our opponent does we have bohica sex0r them to death......that fruitcake)

Yeah i think turtling is a bitch in that map. A few alterations to the bases would be ideal. I don't want to see this map drop from competition altogether due to one (albeit glaring) flaw.

My suggestion is to use the Imperial base for both sides, and reduce the walking space (platform where the jump pads are) on phoenix.

Also, if you are going to use the same base, at least take down that generator shield.

Back