recommend me a small (single room)AC unit.

Warrlord

Veteran X
so i just came home to the discovery that my computer had powered itself down because it had become to hot to operate safely under current conditions (126 degree high inside the room it was in today). upon rebooting, i discovered that it had become so hot, the safety fan controller i had running had forced my fan to run at over its max rated RPM for 12 hours straight, and that the fan had burned out. since this could have been my main machine that almost incinerated, im looking to invest in an AC unit to keep my computer room cool. however, i dont know where to start, other than looking on home depot's website. anything you guys would recommend? i would like one that i can attach to a 120mm fan intake if possible, so i can pump the AC directly into the computer first before cooling the rest of the room.

cacaltair13004eml3.jpg

He's the main unit used in AC.

Unfortunately he's not that small. And he definitely doesn't do single rooms.

it was 100 outside yesterday, today, and tomorrow probably as well, and my computer room is on the sunny side of the house, with no AC in the house. the air was stagnate and i had several computers running doing various things while i was out. multiple computers throwing off heat in a sunny room on a 100 degree day = HOT

pumping AC directly into your computer.... you might want to be careful about condensation.

your options are: turn off the computers, or convert them to water cooling - in addition to getting a 8-9,000 btu floor unit or window unit from sears, home depot, or anywhere appliances are sold. i recommend Royal Sovereign. and if you pump any refrigerated air directly into the computer, though i have no idea how you'd fashion up such a thing, kiss it goodbye

i was looking for small AC units too and they are expensive as hell. like at least $300-$400

not to mention u gotta hook it up to a window. and my windows are sideways windows (they don't open up vertically)

if you get a floor unit they typically have an accordian hose with a long rectangular attachment that can be placed in the window vertically or horizontally. one that will cool a small room will cost between $400-$600. i paid about 530 at sears iirc. sold it recently for 300 when i moved back home to the magical fairy land where every house and apartment has central air
edit: old pic i took when explaining this at the time
exhaust.jpg

i was looking for small AC units too and they are expensive as hell. like at least $300-$400

not to mention u gotta hook it up to a window. and my windows are sideways windows (they don't open up vertically)
There are free standing floor models. They have a drip pan for condensation you have to empty on occasion, and they're probably not any cheaper than a low cost window unit.

im in the bay area so a lot of places don't have AC, only heat and fan which blows hot air.

i was considering buying one at costco and then returning it like 2 months later. (i hear you can do that, i don't have costco membership so im not sure.)

There are free standing floor models. They have a drip pan for condensation you have to empty on occasion, and they're probably not any cheaper than a low cost window unit.

yeah that's what i was looking at, i assumed that i couldn't hook it up to my window b/c every picture of them shows them hooked up to windows that open up horizontally but i guess it works for vertical windows too.

Nobody has even asked the important questions yet

How big is the room?
How many computers are in the room?
Is it on a first or second floor?
How well is the attic insulated? Are the walls properly insulated?
Do you have a window to do this with?
What temperature does it get outside / what area do you live in?

To more appropriately answer your question, I have a 14,000 btu unit in my computer room, which holds 2 computers. The walls and attic are all insulated, but it's on the second floor above the garage, which I think dumps extra heat into the room.

My 14,000 btu unit barely cools the room on hot summers.

Last edited:

How big is the room?

To more appropriately answer your question, I have a 14,000 btu unit in my computer room, which holds 2 computers. The walls and attic are all insulated, but it's on the second floor above the garage, which I think dumps extra heat into the room.

I think we also need to ask...

Are you running a LAN Center? Have you received any advice from Juggernaught?

How big is the room?

well the room im in now is pretty small. think 1 car garage only cut off about 6 feet in back. it was originally a garage to begin with but the previous owners of the house converted it to a bedroom/office with better electrical wiring than the rest of the house before they moved out.

i had 3 computers running at the time, as well as 2 crt monitors in power save, and my 12x12x14 logitech sub woofer was on because my sister was listening to music earlier on it. left the computers running because they were all working on rendering various video projects that one of my friends is working on.

as far as insulation goes in here, the insulation is less than 5 years old, the attic above it is well insulated, and the ceiling is probably insulated better than it needs to be based on the difference in temperature near it vs around 3 feet off the ground.

room isnt on a second floor, but it gets hot enough you would think it was.

yes, i have a window that has a good bit of counter space by it to put this thing on.

if i forgot to state it before, i live in the sf bay area, and a lot of the housing around here doesnt come with central air conditioning for some reason that is beyond me.

now, as far as picking a unit goes, turns out that my buddy who i was lending my cpu time to just had the same thing happen to him (we have the same rig go figure), and he is planning on getting one of these for his room. says his sister got one when she went to college in AZ and it kept her 2 room dorm more than cool enough to live in on those hot days in summer. has good reviews and it apparently does the job rather well, plus it only costs $200

LG Electronics 10,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner with Remote - LWHD1006R at The Home Depot

ed: no im not currently running a lan center. however, when i move out of this house later this year, im hoping to move this hardware into a bigger room with enough space for friends to set their rigs up in. if i do that i will probably just get a second one of the units i listed above, if the first one isnt powerful enough to keep the place cool with 6-8 computers + monitors running at once. no, i havent talked to jugglenuts

Last edited:
Back