Reccomend me a new mobo

Buffy635

Veteran X
My five year old MSI socket 478 is in the process of eating shit. I need a mATX mobo on the cheap(<$100). I just transfered into Computer Science at school and would prefer if Linux also ran on it. Up until now Ive only been looking at agp boards, but but my gfx card prolly also could use and upgrade. Since i dont have an excess of cash im leaning toward an AMD, even the $185 C2D is above my spending limit. Any recommendations on brands or pci-e vs agp would be appreciated.

Not enough information.

What will you be using the comp for? What socket? $185 for the entire upgrade?

Not enough information.

What will you be using the comp for? What socket? $185 for the entire upgrade?
Sorry. The comp will be used for mostly word processing(homework), some light gaming, and as I said Id like to put Linux on it so I can also do my programming homework. I plan on spending more than $185 but I cant afford to spend that much on a single component. The socket dosnt especially matter. Ive noticed that 754 sockets have AGP and 939 generally have pci-e. I dont want to go AM2 because ive got ddr400 ram id like to reuse and they are still pricey.

Socket type and vid card interface have little to do with each other. AGP is old and dying out, go with PCI-E. I don't think Linux requires anything special in terms of hardware, though I may be wrong on that one.

Anyway, you'll probably want this mobo. MATX, DDR400, Firewire, Gigabit LAN and integrated GeForce 6150 graphics for $75. Depending on what you call light gaming, you may not need a vid card at all (apparently the 6150 can give you 40-50 FPS in games like FarCry and Enemy Territory at 800x600).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131570

A 3000+ would be more than enough for your needs, too. They go for about $70 (wtf, when did newegg stop selling processors?), and if it turns out that you actually don't need a vid card, then that's ~$150 for the entire upgrade.

Back