[Rafting] Upper Gauley

Teflonatron

Server Savior5
Veteran XV
Went and did the Upper Gauley run this year again. Was absolutely awesome as always. Did a 4 man "High Adventure" raft this year, which stepped it up a notch. Much more interesting than the typical 6-8 man big rafts they usually run down the Gauley.

This isn't me, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like (these are all class 5 rapids). The helmet cam gives you an idea of what it's like, if you haven't ever been:

Iron Ring:

Lost Paddle:

Sweet's Falls:

I ran the upper Gauley last year. We ended up getting pinned for over an hour on one of the class 5's. It was pretty intense. I'm pretty bummed I couldn't head back this year for Gauley fest.

I ran the upper Gauley last year. We ended up getting pinned for over an hour on one of the class 5's. It was pretty intense. I'm pretty bummed I couldn't head back this year for Gauley fest.

What rapid did you get pinned on? It wasn't in the box after Sweets Falls, was it?

I've been rafting a few times. Got tossed from the raft once. Quite the scary experience.

btw, if this your first trip on the gauley know that you just ruined white water rafting for yourself, if you go anywhere else you'll sit there and think it's lame the whole trip.

I used to enjoy the nolichucky, even did it in march once, but really nothing compares anymore.

btw, if this your first trip on the gauley know that you just ruined white water rafting for yourself, if you go anywhere else you'll sit there and think it's lame the whole trip.

I used to enjoy the nolichucky, even did it in march once, but really nothing compares anymore.

haha, yeah, i hear that!

This was my 7th time down the Upper Gauley. We did the New River one year, because (unbelievably) they were having to release more water than usual from the dam. I think they were running 3500+CFS from the dam... The guides said it would be suicide. We ended up doing the New River at like 6ft, which is relatively high for that river....didn't even compare to the Gauley, despite its flood stage... :)

Untitled on Vimeo

Here's video from my trip. I'm in the first 4 man boat, back left. We end up loosing our guide on the bumper rock in Insig. I tried to link up paddles when she came up out of the water, but she was too far away already. I went for the throw bag after that, but I couldn't get it ready to throw fast enough (I was riding the rapid backwards while trying to figure out the throw bag...which was also fun!).

What rapid did you get pinned on? It wasn't in the box after Sweets Falls, was it?

I want to say it was Iron Ring. We had a pretty athletic group with us and our guide wanted to try a more advanced route. Yeah it backfired we were stuck in the middle of the river in a raft that was being pummeled by tons of water.

We definitely had to be pulled out with those safety ropes haha.

Back