[Quick Halp, urgent]GPS for car

CED/Esmeralda

Veteran X
Never thought I would be asking for info so quick but would appreciate thoughts and input for those who may see this post..

I live in SW burbs of Chicago(Plainfield) and have access to SuperWalmart, TigerDirect/CompUSA and Best Buy close by ===> need to buy a portable GPS for my car early tomorrow morn to make a mad dash to Memphis,Tn to get to a hospital plus finding accomodations(family emergency).. I can buy and then dn-load any software as I finish my patients before I leave late morn so need user friendly and up to date; basically plug'n'play... Cost: don't really care, I figure $100 +/- $20.. Thanks...

Last edited:
i have a garmin nuvi i like it, but it was in and out of reception is some dense urban environments (nyc bigtime, philly a bit).

talked to a bunch of cab drivers since my purchase - most seem to like the tomtom brand the best :shrug:

eWe3J.jpg

If you can use your iPhone (or Android phone?) they have GPS software.

I think Google have a free GPS navigator for Android; and there are tons of iPhone apps for GPS use on the iPhone.

You may prefer a mounted GPS device though.

Join the 21st century.. Google Maps is what the cool kids use.

:signed:

Just print out a few maps and you're good to go. You're taking I-57 almost all the way to Memphis, and hospitals are usually by the highway and major roads. I'm guessing there are usually hotels around hospitals too.

Phone GPS requires a data connection to show maps. If you lose data service for any reason, you no longer have a map.

Unless you can get a standalone GPS on your phone, which most people can't.

I recommend TomTom after using both Garmin and TomTom.

Phone GPS requires a data connection to show maps. If you lose data service for any reason, you no longer have a map.

Unless you can get a standalone GPS on your phone, which most people can't.

I recommend TomTom after using both Garmin and TomTom.

this isn't really true if you're using tomtom or navigon on iphone, for example, they download the maps locally

Only time I've lost signal using my iPhone was driving from Columbus to Sandusky (Cedar Point) and it was a stretch of road where I knew where to go.

GPS is nice because it talks to you. But I have navigated many vacations using just my iPhone.

Sams or Costco (warehouse clubs) have them for a good price.

yeah, that's what they are. Only need the GPS chip, no data required

of course it eats up a lot of space, although tomtom as an example sells regional apps so that you only donwload what you're likely to need (and then you have to pay more when you travel)

And you get to pay $50 for the pleasure. :)

Anyways I was mostly referring to people recommending Google Maps and other built-in GPS apps on most phones. They work, until you really need them to work, and then you'll lose a signal and smash your phone.

I have Navit, which is an open-source standalone GPS, and was free. If I had to spend $50 on a GPS app for my phone, I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a real GPS for $80-100.

Back