Question on Tribal Lore

Zephirum

Veteran XV
I have a question about the storyline in Tribes:Vengeance, I've been playing Tribes since T2 first came out (never bothered registering here before now, but read quite often), but until IG started releasing the SS:2845 plot backdrops, I never really bothered reading up on the lore. Now that I have, I'm slightly confused about T:V.

Vengeance takes place in the distant past, and by my knowledge of the history (which is most likely innacurate and contains many omissions), the Blood Eagle tribe was formed from the remains of an Imperial Knight Legion.. so how are the Blood Eagle and Imperials in T:V at the same time?

If anyone could link me to a page with a history of the SS/Tribes universe, that'd be killer (I read FishStix's link to wikipedia, good stuff).

windexy said:
I give absolutely zero shits about the tribal storyline.

Thank you for your contribution, I like to read up on the history/lore of every game I play, I'm just strange like that.

Thank you for the link dragon.

I didn't get in to Tribes until T2, but I did download the original one when it went up on FP, so I'll poke around in my download for that pdf. Thank you.

You're not really wrong about the Blood Eagle, Vengeance is simply set in a different time-period than T1 and T2. If you break the Starsiege timeline up into era's, it works kind of like this:

Earthsiege/Starsiege - The Fire, Cybrids, Herculean warfare, etc.
Humanity is centred mosly in the solar system, occupying a few neighbouring planets.

Afterwards comes The Chase, where SS:2845 is set.
Still dealing with Hercs, humanity chases down the remaining Cybrid forces.

The Splintering
A time period where man starts to move away from earth, out into space. The four great tribes are not formed yet, i believe it's in this era that groups start to seperate from the Empire, and consider themselves independant. T:V is set in this time period, we were told, because there is little written on this period, which allows the writers some leeway and artistic license.

Firetruce
T1 and T2 are set in this time period. The four great tribes are fully formed, and the Tribes as a whole consider themselves serperate from the Great Human Empire.

Incidentally, this is exactly what you'll find on Tribesroleplayers.org, only they go into much more detail. It's quite interesting. :)

Personally i'm a bit curious about how IG has handled that as well... hopefully the single player campaign will explain it.

Also, if you haven't seen it, check out Prophecy of Tears, the official prelude to the events of Tribes2. It's written by Blake Hutchins, who is the same author who wrote the short in the T1 manual. I believe he's also been responsible for a large portion of the Starsiege universe and it's history, etc. (Can anyone verify and/or add to that? I've always wondered exactly what Hexabolic has contributed...)

Prophecy of Tears
http://www.tribes2.com/4_2_0_story.html

The Blood Eagle were sent in a few years before T:V to try to minimize the threat of rebellion in the Wilderness. As the Empire moved on, the BE were left behind. Eventually the BE became fiercely independent as their resources dwindled and contact with the Empire waned. With not enough materials to service their superior Imperial technology, the BE developed personalized suits, like Tribals use. They in effect became a Tribe, although they were still part of the Empire.

The Empire eventually turned its attention back to the Wilderness but got no help from the now "free" Blood Eagle, so they began sending in other troops. (By the way, these troops, although they operate under the name of "Imperial" in the game, are actually composed of Orders. The Blood Eagle was an Order (one of many) before this point, and had existed for about a thousand years. Their history has always been full of questionable ethics, treachery and even cannibalism.

Anyway, at this point, in T:V, the Imperials are moving in to qualm the problems in the Wilderness. Or, that's how it's supposed to go according to the official documentation. Knowing any Tribes game, I'd expect them to ignore some story elements for no good reason.

The Diamond Sword exist but are too small of a Tribe to be worthy of a player model. There may be some kind of reference to them in the game though, who knows.

After StarSeige, the Rebels under the pressure of past tensions between the colonies and Earth, leave Sol (our solar system). They form the Children of the Phoenix in the Wilderzone, after Harabec the Phoenix Knight and former leader of the rebellion.

The exodus of Rebels is seen as an act of subversion to Imperial Order and the Emperor sends an Order of Imperial Knights, the Blood Eagle, to subdue the defectors and assert Imperial Authority.

The crusade of the Blood Eagle makes great strides into Phoenix territory and finds initial success. However, eventually, the advance grinds to a halt. Being so far from their home field, the Imperials begin finding it impossible to fully maintain and supply their overpowering edge in technology and soon the Blood Eagle begin adopting "Rebel" tactics and equiptment designs. The "war" grows into a stalemate, the battlefront a quagmire with neither side seeming able to turn the tide to their favor.

The crusade turns into a "cold war", the Blood Eagle establish themselves in the Wilderzone and prepare for a long future away from home. Isolated and so far distant from the Imperial Throne, the Blood Eagle grow to view themselves as sovereign and independant of Imperial Leadership, they consider themselves a "Tribe" like the Phoenix. The view is considered betrayal by the Imperial Throne and the Blood Eagle are disgraced, becoming disowned by the Empire.

---

I do not know how Irrational has justified the arrival of the "loyal" Imperials into the wilderzone, but I think I have a good idea or atleast see how its possible.

EDIT: Sorry Plague, I didn't see your post.

Last edited:
Hellsfury said:
After StarSeige, the Rebels under the pressure of past tensions between the colonies and Earth, leave Sol (our solar system). They form the Children of the Phoenix in the Wilderzone, after Harabec the Phoenix Knight and former leader of the rebellion.

Oh, so THAT's what happened. I had wondered how the Phoenix were tied to the Martian Rebels from so long ago.

Originally Posted by knuckle

Originally Posted by Hellsfury

Oh, so THAT's what happened. I had wondered how the Phoenix were tied to the Martian Rebels from so long ago.

Actually, the "rebels" that left the system to become the Children of Phoenix are not the same rebels from the end of Starsiege. The "rebels" of Starsiege were colonials that were burdened by heavy taxation and forced labor with no benefits. They rebelled, of course, but joined up with the Empire as Prometheus' forces engaged Earth.

At the end of the war, the colonial forces, or the "rebels" as people call them, formed their own seperatist government called the Free Colonial Forces. What happens in between the beginning of The Chase and the beginning of Vengeance no one knows, aside from the information Cyberstorm gives us. The FCF fades from existence, and the Empire becomes less predominate as a totalitarian regime and becomes more of a conglomorate of the corporate meta-nations that control the economy, as it was before the end of The Fire. It can be assumed that the FCF either rejoined with the Empire by this point or was beaten/exhausted at some point and reintegrated.

The "rebels" that began the original Tribe, the Children of the Phoenix, are anti-Imperial dissenters, just like the ones from Starsiege. The difference is that these rebels are not victims of oppression by Earth, but disharmonious vagrants that self-exiled themselves to the outer rim of known space in an attempt to flee the corporate rule of both Earth and the colonies on Venus, Mars and the outer asteroids/moons of the system. Of course, there's no colony on Pluto since it was destroyed centuries before.

Anyway, the idea is that the Children aren't descendents of the infamous "rebels" from Mars, but are actually only heirs in philosophy. It should be noted that Harabec, "The Phoenix" that led the original rebels to victory, wasn't a colonist or a rebel at all to begin with, but the son of the Emperor, sent to infiltrate the growing rebel cause and subdue it from within, although the Emperor knew he would betray this cause, etc. etc. So the "Children," even if literal descendents of the line of Harabec, which is quite possible since he's a demi-immortal and could have had many descendents at this point, aren't colonials or rebels in the standard sense. It's probable that most of them are actually disgruntled "dirtborn" from Earth.

The most obvious reason for the Phoenix's name is because they were actually physically led by Harabec himself into the Wilderness. What become of him no one knows, but he certainly wouldn't have had the same body as he did before in Starsiege, since 1) his head only survived and 2) immortals need new bodies every couple of centuries to house their mechi-organic brains. Getting a new body causes Cell Memory Drift, however, so it's likely that if Harabec is alive at the end of Tribes 2, he may not even remember who he was, Victor Petresun, heir to the Empire's first Emperor. It'd make a good political story for the next Tribes game, if he were to return to try to claim the throne, which would create controversy between the Empire and the Tribes since in a way he's actually heir to both sides' leadership.

Anyway, the Children of the Phoenix aren't the Starsiege rebels, just a slightly unrelated group that follows the same suit centuries later.

Back