[Question]DSL - Wiring

SpidershocK

Veteran X
What I want to know is if the Splitter outside the house, is for the phones to work or for the DSL to work. OR do you need the splitter so that either one can work?

I recently ordered DSL and have to run a new line to my workroom since there isn't any phone line there and need to know the above so I can either order a splitter and rerun all the phone lines or just run a new drop to my workroom.

Thanks

did you order a new phone line? aka another number?

if you're using the same number, then split it

SpidershocK said:
What I want to know is if the Splitter outside the house, is for the phones to work or for the DSL to work. OR do you need the splitter so that either one can work?

I recently ordered DSL and have to run a new line to my workroom since there isn't any phone line there and need to know the above so I can either order a splitter and rerun all the phone lines or just run a new drop to my workroom.

Thanks
the "splitter", (I think you mean filter) goes on the extensions that don't have the dsl modem on them. The dsl modem has to be connected to an un-fucked-around-with line. Usually the dsl will work without filters on the other extensions, but you will get an audible buzzing noise or static on the phones.

filters filter the voice sound from the telephone line so you ONLY hear & submit through the telephones frequences....

so you need one on every telephone extension that is on the same line as the DSL that uses a voice communication (telephone, fax). EXCEPT on the extension connected directly to your modem

Moker said:
did you order a new phone line? aka another number?

if you're using the same number, then split it

I just moved into this house and the phone lines were already there. At the demarc I ran a new (cat5) line that runs to my work room, also at that demarc is the other drop for the other phone lines in the house. So at the demarc I have 2 seperate lines 1 that is bypassing the splitter(the one for my room), and the other one that goes into the splitter and then to the phones. Hope that answers your question.

Elantri_X said:
filters filter the sound from the telephone from line so you ONLY hear & submit through the telephones frequences....

so you need one on every telephone extension that is on the same line as the DSL that uses a voice communication (telephone, fax). EXCEPT on the extension connected directly to your modem

ahh okay.

i can bypass the splitter outside the house then and run the line from the Demarc to my room without having any troubles with the DSL. SO the splitter is for the phones to work properly.

Cool Thanks, Thread locked!

The NID splitter filters out the DSL signal for the phones. If you plugged your CAT5 in behind that splitter, the line to your office with have phone and DSL unless the DSL is running on different pairs than the phone (which wouldn't make it lineshare, it'd be a dedicated loop and you wouldn't need the splitter).

Its a new line completely, seperate pairs, that runs to my office. And from my understanding the phones wouldn't work on that line since the signal is not getting split and I won't have a filter on it.

SpidershocK said:
Its a new line completely, seperate pairs, that runs to my office. And from my understanding the phones wouldn't work on that line since the signal is not getting split and I won't have a filter on it.
Correct. If you got a dedicated line (like Onelink from Speakeasy) then it will completely separate and will not need filters and won't have a dialtone on it.

Back