question about melting down cheap gold jewelery

ReCurve

Contributor
Veteran XV
I was just wondering if you melt cheap gold down do you end up with pure gold, and slag, does it separate like that?
A few years ago my next door neighbor bought a metal detector and a forge from a horse farrier friend of his. I was over drinking beer with him one night, and he was playing with the forge, he was melting some gold jewelry down, and then tossing it in his yard to practice gold hunting with his detector. Anyway last year he let his house go and was having a yard sale, I bought his detector, and he threw in a bag of rock hammers and shovels and pans, all kinds of shit. I was looking through it today and I found a ring box with 12 grams of gold in it. If you were to melt down cheap say 10 and 14 carat gold, would you be left with pure 24 carat gold and some slag?

I know a guy who will give you top dollar for your gold. Wherever you take it, they simply take its purity into account when buying it.

Gold stash is the nation's #1 buyers of gold, diamonds, and coins. Trusted by dave ramsey.

You can get $100 dollar bonus for transactions totaling 250 or more.

Take advantage of the high price of gold!

I like the idea of drinking around forges. If that catches on it will lead to some fun times.

I have a prospecting shop up the street that has a good reputation, and pays 78% of spot, what I was wondering is do I have pure gold with a bit of slag stuck to it? or is it just 10 or 14 k gold melted down and a bit of slag stuck to it?

google says you need borax and soda ash

but that's really skipping steps

what you really should be doing is teaching yourself to google shit

I was just wondering if you melt cheap gold down do you end up with pure gold, and slag, does it separate like that?
A few years ago my next door neighbor bought a metal detector and a forge from a horse farrier friend of his. I was over drinking beer with him one night, and he was playing with the forge, he was melting some gold jewelry down, and then tossing it in his yard to practice gold hunting with his detector. Anyway last year he let his house go and was having a yard sale, I bought his detector, and he threw in a bag of rock hammers and shovels and pans, all kinds of shit. I was looking through it today and I found a ring box with 12 grams of gold in it. If you were to melt down cheap say 10 and 14 carat gold, would you be left with pure 24 carat gold and some slag?

:lolwut:

google says you need borax and soda ash

but that's really skipping steps

what you really should be doing is teaching yourself to google shit

then I would have to Google borax, and soda ash, you already saved me two steps, thanks and enjoy the rep

Gold melts at a different temperature than the 'slag' --> 1064.18 °C, 1947.52 °F

"Gold can be dissolved by the aqua regia (nitro-hydrochloric acid), so named because it dissolves gold. Gold also dissolves in alkaline solutions of cyanide, which have been used in mining. Gold dissolves in mercury, forming amalgam alloys."

Fuck the Google, just Wiki it

Gold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back