PS4, PS4 Pro?

Really? Everything I read said the optical drives are paired to the motherboard, so you pretty much have to rebuild the whole thing.

Sorry, was thinking the hard drive. The disk drive is probably a major pain.

Just get a new model PS4. The Pro is never going to replace the current PS4, it is just a more powerful option for people with 4k tvs.

They've said games are always going to be backwards compatible.

Just get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Slim-1TB-Console/dp/B071CV8CG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1515028721&sr=1-1&keywords=ps4

Just replace the hard drive - it's super easy and just needs to be the correct size. I put a 1.5 Tb drive in when I first got mine because I buy all digital.

Also, the PS4 Pro is a waste if you don't have a 4k HDR10 TV or are not planning to get one in the near future.

Turning the console on its side has helped more than anything else but even then sometimes I need to wobble it slightly. I've read a few forums that point toward an alignment issue with the laser. Seems plausible, especially since moving the console into a vertical position has shown the biggest benefit.

Lol doing shit like that brings back memories of a music CD player I used to have. Pretty much ended up with the thing upside down to keep it working.

You can get those cleaning discs with a brush on them, put some fluid on it and give it a try, it might help, but it does sound like alignment. Take it apart and adjust the tracking screws.

I can see the difference on my 4k TV, but the load times aren't any better, and neither is the menu for speed. If you plan on getting a 4k TV *soon*, just buy the Pro, but if you're waiting a year or more, just buy a used PS4 on craigslist.

last year when they released the pro they also offered an upgrade deal if you traded in your old ps4 - mine had a weird drive issue so I took it in and the new one only cost me 150 or so. I don't have a 4k tv but it was a cheap replacement for a failing unit i was going to replace

last year when they released the pro they also offered an upgrade deal if you traded in your old ps4 - mine had a weird drive issue so I took it in and the new one only cost me 150 or so. I don't have a 4k tv but it was a cheap replacement for a failing unit i was going to replace

Just another PSA: you could have fixed that drive issue w a new HD for less than half what you paid in the upgrade, as I mentioned in the first page.

Western Digital HDD WD10JPLX 1TB Mobile 7200RPM 32MB Cache 2.5inch SATA Black Bare - Newegg.com

Is it possible to install the games on the storage drive and play them off it?

You're replacing the lower storage default hard drive with a higher capacity drive so, essentially, yes.

PS makes you "install" disc games which loads a bunch of the game's data on the drives to help with the slower read speeds from the Blu Ray but it's not a complete install. Otherwise, buying full games off the PSN store is saving and playing from HDD.

If you're using it as an external drive with the storage bank hookup then no you can't, AFAIK.

Last edited:
yeah just get the normal ps4 if you don't have a 4k tv. the ps4 pro doesn't even have a 4k blu ray player in it (xbox one x does, though granted, I don't know many people that still buy physical movies). I would imagine sony will come out with a new console by the time you get a 4k tv.

Back