PS3 dead? Help?

Luke

Veteran XX
Playing Dark Souls yesterday, no problems, no history of lockups or freezing, no weird sound glitches.

Suddenly, I heard the fan turn up a notch, then my TV went black, the PS3 beeped 3 times quickly, green light went red and started flashing.

Left it unplugged over night, turned it on this morning. Green light comes on, fan starts up for a second, then the green light goes yellow, then red, 3 beeps, then shuts off. Red light blinking again.

This is one of the 80GB PS3s that came with MGS4, released on June 12, 2008. I'm assuming it's out of warranty as most all PS3s come with a 2 year warranty now.

I've repaired a lot of XBoxes myself, RROD and E74, not afraid of cracking it open. Anyone have a good youtube video by chance?

You got the yellow light of death. Same thing happened to my PS3, same exact model as yours it sounds like.

You can't fix it unless you know how exactly what you're doing. You could probably find a guide, but I think you need a replacement part of some kind as well.

I found a guy in the city who does fixes. Did mine for $60 and it worked fine after that.

I sold that one though and now have a slim.

Rip it apart and do the re-flow in the link bam put up, if you're lucky enough to get it working again put it up on ebay and get a new one, if it happens once it'll happen again.

I've had about a 50% success rate reflowing these bad boys, the ones that work you may get an hour or two years, you never know.

Depends on how you list it meber.

"Up for sale is a Sony PS3 that was reflowed and it working perfectly. Sold as-is"

Yeah, that's being a prick, suck it.

Fair enough. I was thinking just selling it under the pretence of only 'this is a working ps3'

sounds like the PS3 yellow light of death. (over heating)

I got one on my older style ps3. I had it fixed, and heard there is a chance of it coming back, so I sold it and got the newer one, which has barely any YLOD problems. (I havent had any since getting it over a year ago)

Back