Protecting part of a site from bot harvesting.

So I'm designing a portfolio web site and want to do my best to protect my contact information from bot harvesting. I realize that no method is 100% foolproof but I would love to prevent some of the spam from web bots.

So I was wondering. What methods have you seen that are effective and non intrusive to the users. I would love to make it as transparent as possible as to not interfere with the viewers experience but at the same time provide a successful e-condom from bots. I would prefer to implement the solution using HTML and or Javascript. Also, I get annoyed at CAPTCHA because sometimes its even hard for humans to read and I don't want to piss off a prospective employer by them not being able to get at my contact info if desired.

Last edited:
If you're implementing a registration form for the site I'd implement one of those anti-bot alphanumeric imaging systems that generates a random image with letters and numbers that requires someone to type in the wording for verification.

If you're implementing a registration form for the site I'd implement one of those anti-bot alphanumeric imaging systems that generates a random image with letters and numbers that requires someone to type in the wording for verification.

That'd be a CAPTCHA. Which btw way, bots are better at defeating in 2 out of the 3 ways they work.

Calsa, you options are limited here. You can hide your email/info in an image, but some bots can still harvest it.

You can setup a contact form that handles the mailing on the server-side (this is my preferred option), but then the first contact has to come from this form. Also, some bots will email you through the form. I've never had much trouble with that though. You can always deny their IP from your site at that point.

This list can come in handy at that point: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Back