Project Reality v1.3 Standalone Release

DudeofDeath

Contributor
Veteran XX
Project Reality v1.3 Standalone Release

Front Page Article

Battlefield 2 is no longer needed with this standalone v1.3 release.

"In addition to becoming standalone, v1.3 brings many bug fixes, performance improvements, and tweaks to make the game more enjoyable overall. There are also quite a few new features to enjoy as well."

Yea, it's way old, but it can still be quite fun if you hook up with the right squad. It's FREE, just download, install, and create an account to check it out..

Project Reality: BF2 Standalone Trailer

...also just because a game is no longer supported or available for retail, doesn't mean that the owner (EA) won't shut them down...

Shaky ground there.

Just got back from a vacation, all I know is the servers are all filling up really quick, reminds when T1 got put out all over the web for free. I play all kinds of new games all the time, but some are truly special, this mod is one of them imo. Classic case of gameplay over graphics..

I loved this game...

But I'm not sure what's going to be better, this or SQUAD.
What Is Squad?

This is better, I just don't have any faith in recreating the movement and animation code from BF2 into the Unreal Engine. If they take it too far it'll turn into a man simulator like Arma which has always had a clunky feel to it.

They need something like this to help lose the unreal mod feel that so many games have.

(skip to the end of the video)

EA will shut this down when they find out they're releasing BF2 executable for free, unless they have permission to do so.

Last edited:
This is better, I just don't have any faith in recreating the movement and animation code from BF2 into the Unreal Engine. If they take it too far it'll turn into a man simulator like Arma which has always had a clunky feel to it.

They need something like this to help lose the unreal mod feel that so many games have.

(skip to the end of the video)

EA will shut this down when they find out they're releasing BF2 executable for free, unless they have permission to do so.

PR was never a ARMA like "SIM" so I don't think they'll go that route.
It mostly had to do with the mouse move zone, which you could turn off.

The things they wanted to do with PR were limited because they didn't have access to the core engine source for BF2.

Last version I played was .9 I think and it felt like instead of being a hard core version of BF2 it went into this zone of trying to be too ambitious for what they could do with modding BF2.

I played one round of the Arma 2 version of the mod and that was enough for me, playing as a taliban with a shitty weapon with iron sites while the US forces snipe you with acog scopes was just about as much fun as the real thing I imagine.

The free aim in Arma is part of it but just the whole movement feel is just too exact with their every step equally measures so much distance - you need a little bit of "float" especially when you're trying to pivot in place to turn around.

Free-Aim is one of those interesting ideas that you immediately turn off in ArmA.

ArmA 2 (and A1) is generally acknowledged as clunky by most dedicated ArmAholics I've known, but it's the kind of thing you get used too and work with it.

ArmA 3 made a significant improvement in the feel of the "Man Simulator" so it feels considerably less clunky and better overall. I think it is one of the more pronounced improvements that distinguishes Arma 3 from earlier versions... but I guess some would disagree.

Overall all though, despite the many improvements to the basic functionality of everything dealing with the user experience of ArmA 3... its only real problem is a lack of distinguishing content that motivates you into playing it. In short, ArmA 3 lacks a solid reason to really want to play it. Which... is sad to me because I see the Bohemia guys trying hard to make it the best ArmA yet in terms of a multiplayer game experience.

Last edited:
It has pretty much been standalone since the 1.0 update and EA was aware of that. The game has pretty much been entirely re-written from BF2, textures, sounds, servers, maps, etc. and the mod had BF2's blessing from the beginning, the devs in the know seem to think they are fine, they are not selling it. It may be a hard day in court now to prove that there is any part of BF2 left.. so enjoy.

Regarding 1.3

75 hours since release
22,490 installs
1,855 uninstalls
~14,000 new game accounts
8,495 players per day peak (1 Jun)
~1,500 players online at once
928 rounds played
38,148 website visits peak (31 May)
74,047 trailer views
4,504 ladders

NEW PLAYER GUIDE

I geek-out just a little bit when I hear of game communities managing to keep their game going long after official support for it has ceased.

It's also nice when a developer/publisher blesses the effort by supporting it with source code, license adjustments or simply not suing them into the dirt for it.

Last edited:
Back