Processor Usage [Problem]

DarkSabreTribal

Veteran XV
When I take a look at task manager, it consistently displays something similar to this:

a2j_TaskManager.jpg

The overall CPU usage is listed as 41% and it says that System Idle is responsible for 99% of that usage. That just doesn't seem to click.

It has been like this for a while (long enough that the computer has been rebooted a couple times). Any idea what is sucking away my processing power? Ran virus and spyware scans, both of which came up clean.

:shrug:

Get that program Kahula is hocking
Local Cooling

Download the 100% Free LocalCooling Application and it automatically optimizes your PC's power consumption by using a more effective power save mode. You will be able to see your savings in real-time translated to more evironmental terms such as how many trees and gallons of oil you have saved.

Local Cooling will:

* Cut your energy bills.
* Reduce the amount of Greenhouse Gas CO2 emissions as a result of your reduced PC power consumption.
* Give you full control over your power mode settings.
* Improve your overall computing experience and efficiency.
* Show you in detail how much you have saved since installing the software.

is that sorted descending by CPU usage? It may be a rootkit got installed and that won't show up in your process list.

When I take a look at task manager, it consistently displays something similar to this:

a2j_TaskManager.jpg

The overall CPU usage is listed as 41% and it says that System Idle is responsible for 99% of that usage. That just doesn't seem to click.

It has been like this for a while (long enough that the computer has been rebooted a couple times). Any idea what is sucking away my processing power? Ran virus and spyware scans, both of which came up clean.

yeah, system IDLE process ...

dumbass.

Brasstax, I just installed LocalCooling. I don't see anything there that would help.

Yeah, it is sorted descending.
I'll do a scan for rootkits next boot.

You mean System Idle is using 41% of my processor? bullshit.

Get that program Kahula is hocking
Local Cooling

Download the 100% Free LocalCooling Application and it automatically optimizes your PC's power consumption by using a more effective power save mode. You will be able to see your savings in real-time translated to more evironmental terms such as how many trees and gallons of oil you have saved.

Local Cooling will:

* Cut your energy bills.
* Reduce the amount of Greenhouse Gas CO2 emissions as a result of your reduced PC power consumption.
* Give you full control over your power mode settings.
* Improve your overall computing experience and efficiency.
* Show you in detail how much you have saved since installing the software.

i was gonna post this, fucker. :mad:

i would recommend booting to safe mode and doing a complete virus scan.

i was reading a while ago about a root kit that was only detected by a few of the apps out there, and then, only in safe mode.

if i can find the info, i'll paste it here

i would recommend booting to safe mode and doing a complete virus scan.

i was reading a while ago about a root kit that was only detected by a few of the apps out there, and then, only in safe mode.

if i can find the info, i'll paste it here

I ran Anti-Rootkit and RootkitRevealer v1.71.

The first one didn't turn up anything on either the normal scan or the dubious boot-scan. The latter picked up a handful of registry keys, but google searching indicated that they were all harmless false alarms.

The boot-scan that the first one did sucked, so I grabbed Knoppix S-T-D (bootable linux security distro) and did the antivirus and rootkit scans from there. It didn't pick anything up. If you know of something better than Knoppix I would use it, I've just used Knoppix before.

god how many programs do you have running, shit fuck

:lol: more than a handful, but nothing incredible.

You aren't defragging are you?
dfrgntfs.exe is part of the disk defragmenter.

I was playing with my partitions earlier and defrag'ed a few of them. The window was still open, but it wasn't running. The processor usage is constant at a minimum of ~40% as soon as I boot.

here is your fix

It has nothing to do with any of that stuff.

follow this fix:
go to start
run
services.msc
TURN OFF AND DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES SERVICE.
close
restart

fixed

you are welcome

Some one 'splain to me why LocalCooling (which I now have running ;)) would have helped his problem of SytemIdle consuming 42% of CPU :shrug:

here is your fix

It has nothing to do with any of that stuff.

follow this fix:
go to start
run
services.msc
TURN OFF AND DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES SERVICE.
close
restart

fixed

you are welcome

Went to computer management, stopped the service, disabled it, and restarted.

a2j_765486.jpg

No change. :redx:

its an idle process. thats all it is nothing. more.

unless i have the same virus as you,....and i dont...

because its a new install on a mac in a virtual machine environment thats never been on the internet.

Back