Processor running VERY hot

Inspin

Veteran X
Okay, so I put together my first pc. Athlon 64 3000+, msi k8n neo4 motherboard, 1 gig ram.

Used it only a little bit yesterday and it seemed fine. Just now I was online and it shutoff..first thought was that it was overheating..I installed the mbm utility and it was at 127c!

The processor came with it's own cooling and the fan was spinning..is there anyway to test that the cooling system is working correctly? It cannot possibly be working. Note I did no overclocking.

After I saw that number I shut it down and am on my old system right now.

try open up the case and check if the proccesor fan is in the socket and fitting tightly. Some crappy MOBO socket seat is made of cheap plastic and they can shatter if they get old.

def sounds like the hs & cpu are not making contact. 127 deg is WAY too hot for a cpu, most can only withstand 90 or so. i'd be amazed if it wasnt fried.

I have a feeling you interpereted F as C.

There is no way windows would even boot let alone run stable in any form at that temperature.

127F is fine.

- I did remove the plastic piece
- I tried to reseat it maybe 5 times now
- I did attach the cable from the hsf to the motherboard

-temps:
temp.jpg

It's possible that you set up MBM incorrectly. Try changing the sensor settings around until you get a reasonable value.

Amadeus and iNVAR:

I very well could have setup MBM incorrectly as I have never used it before. But I did select the correct motherboard in the install. I'll check again of course

When I get home from work/class tonight I'll check the BIOS temp and post back

thanks for the help

Definetly did not setup MBM properly. Your proccessor would have fried by that point if it were really that hot.

Check bios for idle temps and then run through the sensor selections in MBM to determine which sensor is the CPU DIE reading.

EDIT: And MBM is no longer updated, so no up to date mobo listings. Chances are you selected a similar model name to the mobo you have. You need to manually configure the sensors on all new mobos imo for easiest setup now.

Last edited:
okay, okay..i had a panic attack for no reason..I checked the BIOS and idle was at 35C, so no worries there. I'll figure out the correct settings for MBM 5 and keep an eye on it under load I guess..

thanks all for the help

Speedfan or 3rd party hardware such as a muiltifunction panel. Mobo sensors aren't very reliable anyway.

Back