port question

Jenocide

Veteran XV
i finally have a college connection, and most things work. but i was trying to host a tribes 1 server, or use bittorrent and i think im getting blocked

i do not have a router
my firewall/security is turned off

so im thinking the port block is serverside, but i have heard there are ways to open these ports without actually being the network admin, ways around it etc...
is this possible?

That depends on your college network setup. You can setup some applications to work on non-standard ports. BitTorrent clients (such as uTorrent) will randomize the port and even encrypt the packet headers so that might work.

You can find out which ports are open for connections to your computer:
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/scanoptions.asp

Note that if you choose option 2 it'll take a while. Option 1 scans for conventional ranges.

Jenocide said:
but i have heard there are ways to open these ports without actually being the network admin, ways around it etc...
is this possible?

Yes, and no.

They can be negated with, for example, tunneling, but for all practical purposes - Anything which requires high throughput (Bit Torrent) or low response (gaming) then it becomes a poor solution. You would also require a remote system on a network you control to tunnel.

Your best bet might be trying too find out if you are allowed to request non-standard ports opened?

Back