[POLL] Worst Tribes Game launch.

Blotter said:
that may be a result of being the next tribes after T1, and the surrounding hype, so t2 had that edge going for it. so as far as marketing and hype, t2 > t:v, but as far as the product and stability, t:v > t2.

if the thread title said worst game stability at launch .. then of course .. I'd say T2 was by far the worst out of the 3 ... but it's overall issues we are looking at ... and by far .. T:V has had the worst launch of the 3.

I'd rather have no patch for a couple months than weekly+ patches that constantly alter things like shields and visibility, and are revoked the next day.

VirDT said:
T:V has to win, it's a failure compared to T2. Even with so many people returning T2 that first week they still managed to have 5k online.
i bought T2 on the 1st day of release (later in the day). As i was buying mine, there was 3 copies returned. Quite the first impression. Tribes 2 despite nobody being able to play the first week of release, still had a larger player base than T:V does now. Despite all the mistakes, T2 did alot of things right that T:V didnt implement. that alone makes T:V a failure.

(btw ive crashed more in T:V than i did the whole time i played T2) goddamn

americanjoe said:
if the thread title said worst game stability at launch .. then of course .. I'd say T2 was by far the worst out of the 3 ... but it's overall issues we are looking at ... and by far .. T:V has had the worst launch of the 3.

heh, id have to disagree. overall, "by far"? now, i think its debatable, but no way "by far". 1 had a more solid game, 1 had a more solid audience, which is better? well thats the debatable part.

also, the thread says nothing about "most popular at launch"

Last edited:
Blotter said:
heh, id have to disagree. overall, "by far"? now, i think its debatable, but no way "by far". 1 had a more solid game, 1 had a more solid audience, which is better? well thats the debatable part.

true ... but .. in debate ... which would you rather .. a stable game with 200 players ... or* a game that run half ass on some machines, and fine on others with 5K players?

EDIT .. but popularity goes hand in hand with a successful game launch .... it defines if a game is successful *at launch* over another that might become successful in time ...

Last edited:
well, considering the gameplay differences between the two at release, id easily say the game with 200 peeps as opposed to the game with 5k peeps, since popularity isnt a major factor for me (if it was, i wouldnt be a triber)..

again, the thread title doesnt say anything about popularity = successful, thats a personal preference, and imo, it doesnt matter to me.

Last edited:
A patch isn't going to save this game, marketing isn't going to save this game, it's had its chance. The demo wasn't even popular and that had all the marketing you would ever need for a popular game. It's really sad seeing this marketing angle people keep clinging to in some attempt to not talk about what really went wrong with the game. Insane hardware requirements and a watered down gameplay design did more to kill this game than marketing ever did or did not do.

i dont think it necessarily means VUG direct marketing, i just think there are factors in the market that contributed to t2's popularity, and t:v's demise. timing is also a factor.

things like t:v being released with 3-4 extremely anticipated titles, t2 not having a demo (it wouldve been 1 helluva buggy demo), t2 being released fairly clear of any other titles, t2 having the hype from t1 going for it, etc...

t2 had insane hardware requirements and water-down gameplay too.

SquirrelOfDeath said:
Christ, anyone that doesn't say T2 needs to have their head inspected. Worst. Release. Evar.
americanjoe said:

Blotter said:
i dont think it necessarily means VUG direct marketing, i just think there are factors in the market that contributed to t2's popularity, and t:v's demise. timing is also a factor.

things like t:v being released with 3-4 extremely anticipated titles, t2 not having a demo (it wouldve been 1 helluva buggy demo), t2 being released fairly clear of any other titles, t2 having the hype from t1 going for it, etc...

t2 had insane hardware requirements too.

ya .. I believe that killed alot of momentum for T:V as well. But to me, the real demise was the lack of commitment to the "whole" tribes community, and not just a select few that hurt T:V s imbracement. (I know you can't make "everyone" happy), but the fact that they tried too hard to sway away from the T2 generation of Tribes gamer instead of improving apon it and imbracing it as a stepping stone for something better is a lacking in gamedesign most players feel is missing for T:V .. But thats another debateable argument for another time. but that just MY opinion

T2 was a buggy POS that ruined the Tribes franchise by being a buggy POS.

Even when it did run, T2 base was slow, boring, defensively imbalanced POS.

There is no comparison.

Yes it managed to get players BECAUSE OF T1. BUT THEN TOTALLY DESTROYED THIS ADVANTAGE BY BEING A BUGGY POS.

DID I MENTION T2 WAS A BUGGY POS?

T2 wasn't watered down, it was complex compared to T1's simplicity. It isn't about pleasing everyone in our tiny community. This is also why no one here would make a good developer. It's all about attracting the noobs, noobs saw all that crazy unique stuff in Tribes 2 and wanted to play and then buy the game. The poor coding was a totally seperate issue that like the marketing of this game people used as an excuse to avoid talking about what makes a game popular.

t2 had numbers, but failed to satisfy the majority. this could also be a factor in t:v not being well received by the public and its lack of hype.

T2 took hours to install for me, and crashed every 15-20 minutes. I rarely crash in T:V, and when I do it is heat related (I have to fix that, but it's my problem, not T:V's). This really reduced the fun of T2.

I'm not considering numbers or marketing. Thinking about those, T:V would likely win, unfortunately.

VirDT said:
T2 wasn't watered down, it was complex compared to T1's simplicity. It isn't about pleasing everyone in our tiny community. This is also why no one here would make a good developer. It's all about attracting the noobs, noobs saw all that crazy unique stuff in Tribes 2 and wanted to play and then buy the game. The poor coding was a totally seperate issue that like the marketing of this game people used as an excuse to avoid talking about what makes a game popular.
there seems to be alot more gimmicky things in t:v than there were in t2. passive/active pack states, grappling hook, ut2k4 engine, single player game. i dont see how t:v is watered down at all with that said, its alot more complex than t1 was.

yeah, making things popular is tough, but most tribers dont care about popularity, and that goes back to what makes a launch successful or not..

Blotter said:
again, the thread title doesnt say anything about popularity = successful, thats a personal preference, and imo, it doesnt matter to me.

not just personal, but financially as well. A fun game to you might be sitting around with 4 other friends with some beers and playing a team pong match on the atari 2600 (i find it quite thrilling as well ;) ) and that in it's self may be a successful game to you, and you might be content with that .. which is fine .. but .. financially a game success is determined by number of sales and profitability. This in turn leads to future support and continuation. A lacking launch as T:V has had, might turn into financial failure and financial demise. A successful game launch with thousands of players playing and buying, means future updates to future products.

Back