Pocket PCs have to be in the cradle to install software?

beast

Veteran XX
I'm a total newb when it comes to mobile devices and just got a Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 5. I've come across some Pocket PC application manuals that tell you to connect your Pocket PC to the cradle in order to install said application.

Why is that? Wouldn't they install using ActiveSync over Bluetooth? Is it common for PPC software only to install if connected to the PPC cradle?

I'm curious, because I'd rather do everything over Bluetooth.

might want some extra power when installing? or a secure source of power just in case your battery dies? Kind of like when you update a laptop's BIOS and it says to make sure the computer is hooked up by wall power during the process.

It's not uncommon for mobile devices to require a consistant power source when installing or updating software or firmware. It's a security feature to prevent the possibility of the battery going dead, in some devices a failed software install or firmware update can cause major problems, even bricking the unit - where the device will not even function on any level, it simply won't power on.

Back