Plane lands on treadmill

there is no point in even trying to explain to you guys because you're stuck in that retarded free spinning wheels mentality

Planes have free spinning wheels. Propellers put out a large amount of force. What of those two things don't you get?

Move something that is 1,000lbs and doesn't have wheels. Now move something that is 1,000lbs and has wheels. Guess what...it requires less force. Wheels reduce friction. Reduced friction means reduced drag. The treadmill increases drag, but not enough to counter-act the prop.

Fuck it. If you don't get simple physics, it isn't worth explaining it to you.

The Law of Conservation of Energy. Enough said. Get out of this thread with your nonsense, you're worse than a bible-thumping Christian. Your god won't make this plane take off.

So tell us then. How much force does the plane apply in a forward direction, and how much force does the treadmill apply in a reverse direction? Assume both are trying to go 100mph. We don't need calculus. Figure out the numbers. The larger number is the direction the plane will travel.

Don't listen to trop. He's just trolling.

Ok. An F-15 has 29,000 lbs-feet of thrust with afterburner. Not sure it's takeoff speed...but probably under 150mph. That would mean right before takeoff the plane would travel at 150mph, and the belt moves at 150mph. The top speed the wheels could experience is 300mph.

You think the wheels spinning at 300mph is enough to stop 29,000 lbs-feet of thrust?

As for Conservation of Energy, that does NOTHING to prove it wrong.

I'm done with this thread. If you'd like, I can recommend a few physics books that may help you understand clearly.

Make me understand how wheels spinning at 300mph can apply 29,000 lbs-feet of thrust? I'd love to read that book.

The wheels cause so much friction...why do they bother putting brakes on aircraft? You guys make it sound like the wheel friction alone will stop a aircraft 5 ft after is touches down.

wtf are you saying? So you think the treadmill creates lift or something?

I credit this answer to Tim, he explained it to me.

the reason the plane WOULD take off from a treadmill is this.. the force being applied to the plane has nothing to do with the wheels on the treadmill..

take this example.

you are standing on a treadmill with rollerblades on.

ok so you turn the treadmill on and you can hold yourself there and not move anywhere relative to the ground under the treadmill, but imagine there is a rope tied to the wall ahead of you.... no matter how fast the treadmill is going you can always pull yourself forward via the rope. (edit: unless the treadmill spins at a million miles an hour and your rollerblades break, but thats beside the point)

now, in the plane on a treadmill example... the force applied to the rope is like the force applied to the plane via its engines.

see how it works now? it has nothing to do with the wheels.

now if the example was a car driving on a treadmill, it wouldn't go anywhere, because the force driving the car is offset by the treadmill since the car uses its wheels to apply forward force.

get it?

Last edited:
I say we build a treadmill with an RV on it with an airplane on the RV and have it try and take off...

Problem with RC planes is that they don't have alot of power and the wheels (and bearings) often are junk. I think an rc plane would tip really fast.
Unless you get one of those over the top expensive ones. Either way, the experiment would stand and fall on the RC part.

trop is a fucking troll. why you take any of his posts seriously is puzzling. he's a lawyer, physicist, doctor, christian zealot and probably an astronaut and nuclear engineer all while being the absolute dumbest fucking person on the planet. he might be homer simpson.

Back