[Pimping my work] Check out an article I published on resolution/refresh rates

Do some more research. They have the same number of physical lines. I go into this in greater detail. However, for all intents and purposes, they are the same resolution, but they handle how the image is displayed.

Also - Fast movement - sports - generally leave artifacts. I describe them as block splotches, you may describe them differently.

block splotches come from too much compression in a fast moving scene. Combing is the interlacing effect and doesn't look blotchy at all.

Combing
inthead.jpg

Compression
report.blocky.jpg

720p and 1080i do NOT have the same number of lines. They don't even have the same number of lines refreshed each second.

Resolution: This refers to how much detail your TV can display. The higher the number, the better the picture.

Sentence 1: sure. Sentence 2: over fucking simplification.

Refresh Rate: Refers to how many times the image is re-drawn on the TV. This will generally only be a number that movie buffs or gamers are concerned about.

Ehhh. Maybe. It's not that relevant to gamers, any more than any other TV watcher. It's often taken to be a disadvantage in games; the consoles don't pipe video to the screen at a higher refresh rate, the TV just interpolates to bring the framerate up. This introduces lag, and makes things look weird.

The standard middle of the pack HD TV will generally have an advertised resolution of 1080i, or 720p.

When I was shopping (getting near to a year ago, I think) the popular "middle of the pack" resolutions were 1080p and 720p. There were a few 1080i sets, but not many. Most of the 720p sets could take a 1080i input, but they'd just downscale it.

720p will instead show the full image in a single refresh, but scaled down to its lower resolution.

Several TV sources are 720p.

The reason why 1080p might not be the most viable option now is because it is more expensive than similarly sized 1080i and 720p televisions

Not by much. Again, I was shopping several months ago and 1080p sets were not an enormous jump from the 720p ones. The situation has changed since then as another generation of sets is out, and prices on 1080p sets are even better. The higher refresh rate sets were fairly expensive though.

and aside from expensive Blu-Ray media, most TV is broadcast at 1080i, and not 1080p.

And game consoles.

However, some service providers are broadcasting in 1080p, and it is likely that more will start offering the same.
Who the hell is broadcasting in 1080p, outside of small-scale tests?

Finally, most people agree that in screens under 50”, there is no discernable difference between 1080p and 720p. Ergo, if buying a 42” television, you might be paying more for something you will never see.

Not taking into account the distance from the screen?

If you live in the United States, 60hz is the standard, and has been for years. If you live outside the states, 50hz is the standard.

Fucking shit. The U.S. isn't the only nation that's not on PAL.

You can have the highest resolution TV on earth and still have a bad image on your television set. Before purchasing a TV, decide what resolution and refresh rate you want, and then do your research. Read reviews on TV’s or projectors in your price range. Color and shades can vary from very accurate and desirable, to washed out or overblown. Just because you spend a lot of money on a TV, doesn’t mean it is going to be good.

This really shouldn't be in "a few reminders". You've emphasized resolution and refresh rate and completely overlooked image quality, which may be one of the most important deciding factors. Of course, you're focusing the article on those features, but you should make a point of emphasizing that you're doing so.

Finally, you can have the best TV on the planet, but if you don’t use the proper cables, and have HD content piping into the TV, then the image will look terrible.

Could use some explanation, or you may as well leave it (and the rest of the "Reminders") out completely. As it sounds now, it may encourage certain people to buy Monster Cables...

Last edited:
I think it is 720 horizontal lines

That is, if "horizontal" describes the orientation of the 720 lines...

Tip: Never pilot an aircraft of any type.

Thanks for this article! Without it I would've done the same thing you did when you wrote it ... used google. THANKS MAN!

Yeah, when you say published, I think you meant posted.

Publishing implies some sort of editorial review process, peer review, fact-checking, etc. etc.

I highly doubt any of that went into your article.

still, way to post some words on a site with some traffic.

Publishing implies some sort of editorial review process, peer review, fact-checking, etc. etc.

Maybe that editor sucked? I got a new one late yesterday, and he had me fix a few things on a different article I submitted. Either way, this does count as published work, and will look good on resumes and what not.

i didnt read the thread

were you just making this stuff up when you wrote it?

interlaced images don't give you 'blocky splotches' they tear at the edges during horizontal movement

i think these splotcehs you're talkinga botu are compression artifacts which you get on poorly encoded dvds and sometimes satellite regardless of tv technology

i didnt read the thread

were you just making this stuff up when you wrote it?

interlaced images don't give you 'blocky splotches' they tear at the edges during horizontal movement

filming.jpg

No, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I accidentally typed Wrong Thing. It's been corrected.

god damnit

this is why people make fun of me when I say I'm studying media

they think of dickheads like this, and not the fucking technicians doing media PRODUCTION gaaaaaaah

Back