[Photoshop] Tips on removing banding

Arcanox

Contributor
Veteran X
Ok, so I'm rending this image for a skydome with a 360x180 degree field of view so it will fit perfectly on the sphereical mapping I have setup.

I render this thing out at 2048x1024 and some details were a bit blurry, but I upped the resolution to 4096x2048. When I do this though I get a huge banding fuckfest.

I want this to look good. I want nice crisp clear image with all the details as sharp as I can get them. But this banding is fucking rediculous and I cannot accept it.

I've exhausted every option on the rendering side, and it seems like I have to photoshop this.

Alot of things I googled up on this problem say that averaging with a noise filter and overlapping images will help break up the banding. This inevitably gives me unwanted spotting in the smooth areas and does very little to remove the banding (bands are pretty big in some areas). Before I go in and basically average two colors 45 times over and paint in the transitions, I want to see if TW has some advice for me.

I doubt it has anything to do with the color mode, or even the file format. Everything is in 32 bit mode. I guess this volumetric lighting is a shitty setup or something, I might have to redo it.

Arcanox said:
I doubt it has anything to do with the color mode, or even the file format. Everything is in 32 bit mode. I guess this volumetric lighting is a shitty setup or something, I might have to redo it.

What app are you rendering it out in?

I managed to make the scene a bit darker. I've sorta accepted the fact that I'm being a bit too picky with this shit, and I think this ultra-high contrast LCD isn't helping all that much either.

I'm also looking at some of these colors are they're like 1-2 RGB values in difference. Guess I'll just have to wait for stuff like 64 bit color to come out :(

Arcanox said:

hm? photoshop files are either 8 or 16bit. Something like this would be 8.

edit: o sorry this is the rendering side of things

You really need a way to calculate the spherical coordinates in double precision. Might eliminate the banding, might not.

Also, can you convert the color to 64 bit values before you do any dithering or adjustment?

The best way to do this is really to fit a special lens to the projector that does the conversion optically.

Back