Photography buffs (not digital)

pino

Veteran X
Im looking for a new SLR. I've decided to look at and old mechanical one to improve my skills. I've been looking at this used Nikon FM. just wondering if you guys have any other sugestions?

Your lopping your legs off not going with a digital slr. Not because digital is better, but because it is easier.You are looking to improve your skills and quickly. Well let me assure you that purchasing a new dSLR is the best way to.

I took 2 years of photography in high school and was using my mothers 30+ old slr. After two years of messing around in the dark room, working the different types of film as best I could, and only knowing what was good and bad days later I came out with very little appreciation for photography.

The most agrevious setback was film. Dropping loads of money roll after roll for top notch film was just ridiculous.
With a digital slr you can effectively throw the entire dark room away, along with the film and repalace it with a few hours in front of the computer like your doing now :)

Rather than being to limited to 24-32 shots max You can easily shoot off 200-300 in a day. With each shot you can preview what you just shot and adjust exposure, white balance, f-stops whatever you want.

Get yourself a copy of Photoshop and start to learn raw format. Basically shooting in raw is like shooting film but instead of wasting time in a dark room and chemical mixing and manual old-fashioned photochopping, your on your ass in a comfortable chair sipping coffee and slaving over your work.

I dropped photography after the first 2 years. It was just way to much for me to keep up with. But In the past 1.5 years I got the digital bug and my desire to photograph came back. Everything I have learned and been able to produce since then has far suprassed everything I ever learned in my photography classes.

If you want to learn photography go digital.

If you want to struggle and despise photography (As i did) keep using film...

Last edited:
Thats a lot of words for a member.

But other than that, pretty well done. I've been debating the film/digital route for a decent camera.

I have a bit of a passion for the film stuff. don't get me wrong i think digital is great stuff but it's the replacement of a point and shoot camera. im talking about for lack of a better word more artsy stuff. I also like working in a darkroom, ive got money set a side to build one in my basement.

I have an fm2n, it's great.

I got it and a f1.4 50mm lens for less than a grand canadian about 2 years ago. I've got a couple of other lenses off of ebay since then.

Grand Masta D said:
f1.4 damn. I want to ge ta nice f2 zoom lens but they cost more than my camera body.

any zoom under f3.5 will cost you an arm and a leg :(

Ok, I still don't believe that Digital beats film. In what way does digital "beat" film? I don't think the problem is image resolution, I think it has to do more with having an actual picture on a piece of paper. Try getting a digi cam and a REAL nice printer to go along with it... to give you the film quality prints.

On another note, for an amateur photographer you're not gonna need anything above 6mp. If you're looking for dSLR I'd reccomend Nikon D70. Only comes with the body but fits all 35mm lenses. I've seen alot of real nice pics taken with this camera that aren't really distinguishable from the 10+mp cams. k thx.

thanks guys all the info is really helpful. i was also wondering if any lense( say a nikon lense) will fit on any body( Like a pentax, ect.)?

It all depends on what type and level of photography you're doing. Digital just cannot simulate the various types of film out there right now. Specific films react is a very specific way to various lighting conditions, filters, etc. You're not necessarily going to be able to simulate using infrared film properly in a digital environment for example.

For most people though, digital is the way to go though. Far simpler, cheaper as far as dealing with the photos themselves, and if you want high quality prints made, it's pretty simple and very cost effective compared to traditional methods.

Back