[Philosophy] John Stuart Mill

Just reading Utilitarianism for an ethics paper. I love philosophy, but this is fucking dry. I'd rather be reading Hume, Kant or even Descartes. Mill is far too wordy.

Mill is pretty legit and easy to understand because he is a philosophy robot.

That's part of my problem with him - he writes for maximum comprehension, and makes it long and simplistic. If he wrote more technically you could fly through this instead of wading.

Hume is garbage, Mill is brilliant but Utilitarnisim is an utter failure, Kant doesn't get near enough credit and Descartes is the king of "modern philosophy."

Too bad for all of them that Plato was and will always be light years ahead :(.

Hume is garbage, Mill is brilliant but Utilitarnisim is an utter failure, Kant doesn't get near enough credit and Descartes is the king of "modern philosophy."

Too bad for all of them that Plato was and will always be light years ahead :(.

Is it backwards day today? Did I miss that memo?

*I'm with you on Kant though

That's part of my problem with him - he writes for maximum comprehension, and makes it long and simplistic. If he wrote more technically you could fly through this instead of wading.

Mill wrote in a style that is very hard for people to understand today because writing is taught so differently.

He wrote in extremely long paragraphs (like his father). You have to remember that John Stuart Mill was a product of his father James Mill who was a Philsopher/Historian and was raised and literally trained to be a reasoning machine. He had a masters level education by the age of 18, was reading the dialogues of Plato at age seven, and had a mental breakdown in his early twenties because he had never had what would be considered a normal life.

The more you know...

Not surprising that a guy who espoused utilitarianism would be both parts epically brilliant and dull.

Not surprising that a guy who espoused utilitarianism would be both parts epically brilliant and dull.

Ironically, he argued against inherent dullness in utilitarianism, and almost resorted to natural theology doing so.

Just read that part an hour or so ago. Now I'm reading Bernard Williams response to utilitarianism.

Just argue that Mill sucks, and provide lengthy quotes without analysis as proof. You'll cruise to an A.

Back