[Philly] Grandson involved in home invasion beating and robbing of grandmother

Jasper

Veteran XX
Hey absent, guess the race!

Victim's grandson arrested in home invasion in Mayfair | 6abc.com

MAYFAIR - March 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- An elderly woman was assaulted during a home invasion in Mayfair and police say her grandson and his friend have been charged.

It happened on the 2800 block of Unruh Street shortly before 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

Neighbors found 94-year-old Sophie Drobish tied up with duct tape partially over her mouth.

Even more shocking, investigators say her grandson was behind the crime.
"At first I was in shock they were even charging him and then based on what I've learned, I think it's disgusting," said Bob Schmidt.

Police say while 27-year-old Greg Drobish sat in the getaway car, his friend 31-year-old Christopher Brunkel barged into his grandmother's home.

Brunkel allegedly threatened her with a syringe and punched her several times before ransacking the house looking for valuables.

"I saw him walking out with this black hoodie on. I couldn't see his face too much because as soon as I looked at him and said 'He's robbing the place,' he put his head down," said Jennifer Abele.

Neighbors chased after the suspect who dropped some stolen jewelry while others checked on the elderly victim.

"I heard her screaming 'Help! Help! Help!' and when I went in she was lying on the floor with duct tape hanging off her," said William Lewis.

The woman was rushed to the hospital with bumps and bruises but she was able to tell police she thought her grandson was involved.

Investigators searched his home on the 3200 block of Tyson Avenue in Mayfair where found both men and more stolen jewelry in the garage.

Detectives are still investigating what would fuel such a despicable crime but they know both suspects have a history of drug use and there was bad blood over money.

"This grandson would come to her for money, several thousand dollars and he would never repay it so apparently there has been some friction," said Lt. Mike Gross, Philadelphia Police Department.

The 94-year-old woman will remain in the hospital overnight.

Family members tell Action News that her son and the suspect's father died last year.

Her grandson was one of the few close relatives she had left in the city.

Yes, thats me being quoted in bold. You can see my fat face giving that quote in the video. Why am I being interviewed? He was my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR! This fucking piece of utter trash lived next to my mother for 5 or so years. In the vid @ 1:33 thats my door on the left. @ 1:37 thats my work truck in the back ground.

I had spoken to him numerous times over the years and what the media doesnt know/isnt reporting is that he was collecting SSI for mental issues and is on a plethora of drugs.That being said, other than always seeming nervous, he came across like a good kid with a big heart. Taking my mothers trash to the curb sometimes when I was working late and shoveling her sidewalk when it snowed. Fuck me I fail at character assessment :(

I had no fucking idea as I watched this all go down around noon yesterday except it was serious with 6 patrol cars and a police van in the back alley (they actually caught them going over the loot in his garage) what he was being arrested for but when I saw the cuffs going on I walked out the front and asked an officer what was going to happen to his pitbull. He said "Animal Control". I told the cop that wouldnt be necessary just yet and I would take care of him for a week or so if I could come in and try to find his house keys, which he let me do.

So, here I am taking responsibilty for this poor, sweet dog. They wouldnt let me back in until they had gotten a search warrant which wasnt until 6pm. They were kicking his door in when I came out with the door key. Cops asked if the dog knew me and could I take her next door even though she was in a crate. Came out with her and there were 8 cops all with some kind of weapon drawn pointing at the ground..tasers, mace, guns I guess. Lots of red dots on the ground.

I'll post pics in a few hours when I go over to feed/walk her. No idea what Im going to do with her. Already have a dog and a cat and she is dog aggressive.

The local SPCA pound was 60% adoptable pitbulls when I was there last summer.

fuck :(

CLIFFS: wall of text

edit-pics

Isabelle in her crate
OPdTi6t.jpg

I dont know if shes starving or if this is normal for the breed but shes' already gone through a 5lb bag I bought her last night.
qA0rnN9.jpg

The trash has been piling up for a few weeks now and I had assumed it was because he was moving out (what he told me) and he was going to have some one come clean it up.
XQ97TMN.jpg

At first she thought she was going to drag me like her owner but she learned quick that wasnt going to happen. I gave a sharp tug on her harness every time she tried it and by the second walk last night she mostly walked by my side looking over her shoulder to see where I was :)
TlEel8X.jpg

I chilled with her on the couch for 15 minutes before putting her back in the crate. I'll go back again around noon today to feed/walk.
nJQJrLY.jpg

The other causality which I had forgotten about. Hes' settling in on my dining room table. Him we're going to keep if the dudes family doesnt claim him.
L7AvZP4.jpg

RbgAGSK.jpg

Its fucking heart breaking having to leave the dog like that but I dont have a choice. Cant bring her to my house and cant leaver her out. She'll attack anyone she doesnt know coming into the house :(

Oh, and fuck any pitbull owner who puts a goddamned spiked collar on their dog. Im going to walk up to the pet store today and get a regular collar for her.

Last edited:
awesome

the only thing about philadelphia that has ever been attractive to an elite california man like me is the cheesesteak.

Last edited:
Dude... why in the hell would you talk to local news?

Every fucking time (was actually interviewed by NBC and CBS local too) I said I didnt want to go on air. This is the timeline:

CBS guy got me right after they arrested him with the camera down the block on a tripod as I was walking out with the house key. said I wasnt interested but would talk off the record, halfway through the asshole lifted his mic and said "So..." :lol:

Later that night NBC came knocking and I said the same thing, wasnt interested (still not believing the kid was capable of it) and the cute reporter said "We'll we've learned the victim has positively ID the kid as her grandson..." So I talked to her (google it for that vid)

30 seconds later ABC knocked and I said "Look CBS and NBC already got me, not interested" and after talking to him he said "Did you know the police actually caught him and his friend with the stolen items in the garage?" and by that time I was already convinced he did it and agreed to talk to him.

They were all very persistent seeing as I was his neighbor.

Except for being fat I didnt really see a reason not too :shrug:

Oh, and as the ABC crew was leaving I said "If you see Fox News tell them to go fuck them selves" :)

Last edited:
I am so glad that they treat mental diseases with "plethora of drugs", always seems to work.

Philly is the sort of town where "guess the race" doesn't apply. Any race is capable of batshit crazy behavior there (outside the mainline).

updated OP with pics.

edit- for those wondering why I cant just bring her in with me its because we already have a cat and a dog (Jasmine, the dog I adopted last Sept.) #1 and #2 our homeowners wont allow it.

I have the dudes house keys and I'll be going over several times a day until I can figure out what to do. I left a note on the door for any family member to contact me.

Last edited:
Back