PDF files.

tons of way

There is tons of ways. I literally have created two systems that create pdf reports on the fly. One uses a crystal report adapation (.NET) the other uses a add-on application, (HTMLDOC). But then there is pdfCreator, and a whole lot of other crap.

PDF is an awesome system. It's true Adobe has a serious hold on it (creating it and all), but there are several decent open-source alternatives.

KellyMonaco said:
PDF is an awesome system. It's true Adobe has a serious hold on it (creating it and all), but there are several decent open-source alternatives.
I never knew there were alternatives. I just always thought it was a file type that was only associated with Acrobat because of patents and stuff.

Most PDFs are too clunky and slow to load. There's too much control by the creator over how it's displayed. And since anything can be PDF-ed, no thought is given to whether they _ought_ to be PDF-ed. Bah!

Thingfish said:
Most PDFs are too clunky and slow to load. There's too much control by the creator over how it's displayed. And since anything can be PDF-ed, no thought is given to whether they _ought_ to be PDF-ed. Bah!

That's the whole point. You lay things out so that they look the same every time.

There's not a lot of thought that goes onto many many webpages, so what's the difference between that and a pdf in that regard?

Back