Paralysed man sends e-mail by thought

PixieDee

Veteran XX
An pill-sized brain chip has allowed a quadriplegic man to check e-mail and play computer games using his thoughts. The device can tap into a hundred neurons at a time, and is the most sophisticated such implant tested in humans so far.

Many paralysed people control computers with their eyes or tongue. But muscle function limits these techniques, and they require a lot of training. For over a decade researchers have been trying to find a way to tap directly into thoughts.

In June 2004, surgeons implanted a device containing 100 electrodes into the motor cortex of a 24-year-old quadriplegic. The device, called the BrainGate, was developed by the company Cyberkinetics, based in Foxborough, Massachusetts. Each electrode taps into a neuron in the patient's brain.

The BrainGate allowed the patient to control a computer or television using his mind, even when doing other things at the same time. Researchers report for example that he could control his television while talking and moving his head.

The team now plans to implant devices into four more patients.

more here

Via MetaFilter

The force, Luke.

Swamp Kitten said:
Omg the flying cars are here
Video games can finally reach the level we've all dreamed of ... virtual sex you can feel

That would eliminate the need for nagging women!!!!! YES!!!!

I wonder how precise it is. The first thing I thought was like, you know how sometimes you know exactly where you want to aim, but then the hand-eye coordination factors in. This would essentially remove that.

Instant God-like powers in FPS.

Man, I'm a nerd.

but if the videogame is jacked into your CEREBRAL CORTEX, if you died in the GAME, you would also DIE IN REAL LIFE!!!!!! (matrix)

does that mean if you stick one in yourself and one in your woman, you can tell her to go make you a sandwhich without moving a muscle

02:38:40 <+kwago> ya know something though
02:38:47 <+kwago> every women shoudl be required to wear one of those
02:38:48 <bizarropope> $25015 after the new basketball
02:38:51 <bizarropope> !
02:38:53 <+kwago> it would save mankind

holy crap i would be like

hey guys,
i have mind powers.
(tv goes on and off and the lights flicker)
muhahahah

terebra said:
thats so full of shit its not even funny
you people who believe that crap are retards

Ya, not like it was posted in some reputable science journal like NATURE or anything... :rolleyes:

Back