[Opening pool in 2 weeks] Need gas grill suggestions

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
My Weber is about 12 years old and on its last legs. I have replaced parts on it over the years to keep it running, but its on its last legs now as the base is starting to rust and fall apart. Starting to look like an eyesore.

Need something in the 3-4 burner size range that's well built. I want quality build materials over anything else so it can survive the Chicagoland winters. Price is not really a barrier ....sorta. I hate wasting money, but willing to pay if it lasts 2-3 times as long.

Weber to me anymore seems like Bose speakers.....sure solid quality, but paying for the name and there has to be better options out there. Is that really the case though? Trying to read reviews online and I cannot find any type of consensus on any one brand or model.

Last edited:
I had found my grill, a Weber genisys iv on sale at lowes a few years ago. Was normally a $1,100.00 unit, got it for around $400. It is a 4 burner with sear and a side burner. I love it. Lowes even assembled it and delivered it for free.

My suggestion just go to the various hardware stores and see if you could find something on sale. Of course this is the wrong time to buy BBQ grills, I bought mine in November when good deals abound.

Yeah we were planning on selling the house over the winter so I held off. Change of plans now so I need a grill. Love saving money, but need a grill now.

There has to be something better than Weber? Right?

Yeah we were planning on selling the house over the winter so I held off. Change of plans now so I need a grill. Love saving money, but need a grill now.

There has to be something better than Weber? Right?
I would suggest getting something inexpensive. I prefer multiple options for the best BBQ experience, like both a green egg or pellet smoker and a grill.

Come to Iowa and grab one...

Char-Broil commercial line isn't bad. The one in using now has illuminated dials. 3 main burners and a pot burner on the side. More stainless steel than most and a higher quality.

Higher quality stainless is non-ferrous. Take a small magnet to tell the difference.

Look for a cast fire bowl, not the lid, the bowl. They cost substantially more, but last forever.

Stainless steel internals if you really don't want to buy new burner or heat spreaders.

Attachments

• 20240505_142602.jpg
    20240505_142602.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240505_142532.jpg
    20240505_142532.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240505_131710.jpg
    20240505_131710.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240505_131639.jpg
    20240505_131639.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240505_131620.jpg
    20240505_131620.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Yeah look in facebook marketplace. People give them away down here. THere isn't much to them, they usually need an ignitre which is like $30-$40 and takes about 10 minutes to put in

Looked at market place by me and it was horrendous. Grills just get beat up so bad in winter unless they are stored. Ran across an article on Kenmore grills......I had no clue they made them. Read some more reviews and pulled the trigger. Half the price of a Weber. It lasts 5+ years then it wins.

Where in Iowa....half tempted haha

I am in the SW burbs right by I55 and I80 so straight shot to quad cities.
North of Davenport.

The silver Char-Broil in the last pic works great, it's an infrared. I just replaced it with the silver Commercial in the second pic.

The green Grill Master and Brinkman came from a friends before he sold the house.
The others were curb pickups I know nothing about. I picked up 3 or 4 this spring!

North of Davenport.

The silver Char-Broil in the last pic works great, it's an infrared. I just replaced it with the silver Commercial in the second pic.

The green Grill Master and Brinkman came from a friends before he sold the house.
The others were curb pickups I know nothing about. I picked up 3 or 4 this spring!
I just ordered one. The more I thought about spending 4+ hours and $100 in fuel I thought against it. If you were an hour closer I would take you up on that.

i was going 2 say get another weber kettle u fking dummy but then i saw the thread is about gas grill so idk just look up whatever hank hill would use

ok now i read the thread and saw u bought a kenmore

hank hill probably approves of sears so u did good kid

Grills are hard to compare because there is not much good content being made on this front. There is a void to be filled with a Project Farm-esq deep dive into grills that get into the thermal acoustics, efficiency, ability to withstand weather ect. It's the same with smokers. Also the Green Egg is nice, but these days there are a ton of viable looking competitors, but again, hard to know from useless reviews.

Go to Google. Search "best printer." The first result is a Verge article making fun of how Google can't find reviews, and how the article gamed the system by auto-updating with AI text. We live in a post review world.

I am probably too late but stay away from charbroil grills. My brother owned one, it was cheaply made and didn’t last more than a couple years.

Back