Olympic Hockey (Canada)

Mafo

Veteran X
I didn't see a thread about this, so here it is, your 2006 Team Canada Olympic roster:

Code:
Goaltenders (3)
Martin Brodeur 	
Roberto Luongo 	
Marty Turco 	

Defensemen (7)
Rob Blake 	
Adam Foote 	
Ed Jovanovski 	
Scott Niedermayer 	
Chris Pronger 	
Wade Redden 	
Robyn Regehr 	

Forwards (13)
Todd Bertuzzi 	
Shane Doan 	
Kris Draper 	
Simon Gagne 	
Dany Heatley 	
Jarome Iginla 	
Vincent Lecavalier 	
Rick Nash 	
Brad Richards 	
Joe Sakic 	
Ryan Smyth 	
Martin St. Louis 	
Joe Thornton

personally I think doan, draper, nash, regehr and smyth shouldn't be on the team. of course I don't follow any of their teams, so it's just an opinion, but there are other stars out there that I think are playing better (even crosby is better than some, though I don't think he should be on either, as he's too young and not nearly the best of canada)

leave off spezza who has more points than staal too
sometimes it's not all about points

edit: though it is obvious spezza has the points from his linemen and staal doesn't
staal should be on the team over those guys i mentioned (like doan)

Last edited:
draper is very very questionnable... as well as doan... foote is slow but will bring leadership as well as jovanovski but as far as leadership goes, I would have picked foote alone...

two key players missing according to me and that could hurt: Marleau and Phaneuf which both belonged to this team...

anyway we'll see...

edit: I don't know, maybe it's because I followed hockey with models when I was younger, but I'm checking the 2006 roster compared to 2002, and 2002 had so many elite/unique players. It was a freaking powerhouse of the best players of their time (nolan/lemieux etc etc etc). I just feel 2006 is a very very good team, just not the elite notch we had in 2002 which lead us to gold medal...

iu was very surprised when staal didn't make the team...spezza and heatley should play just because they work so well together

draper isn't questionable, he is the leagues best defensive forward. he effictively eliminates star opposing players. you need a guy like him imo. plus he is a character player to boot.

doan has proven himself playing for canada in the past, but is the only player i think was really on the bubble.

nash is a great player, not sure why anyone would question that one.

and worst of all, how could you even doubt smyth. guy plays harder than anyone and has done great things for canada in pretty much every tourney he has played for us.

obviously the people in charge feel it important not to mess with success, and i am fine with that.spezza and staahl need more than 1 good season to prove they are good enough to start for canada

umm
or if this is their best season they should be put on while they are good?

i don't care if someone experienced gets cut if they suck this year, THIS IS HAPPENING AT THIS MOMENT why the hell does it matter how he played last year or years before. the time is now, not their career

ummmmmumumum
one season of good play shouldn't trump 5+ good seasons of proven solid play and reliability.

also, a history of great play in international events trumps a good season in the nhl.

look, i know spezza and stahl are having great seasons, but seriously, they have each had 30+ games of playing great. Doan, Nash, Draper, etc have had entire careers and won numerous international events playing together.

I think st.louis should be cut for spezza or staal. He was a flash in the pan. I also hate bertuzzi and wish death upon him so staal or spezza can play in his absence.

st louis is good imo and should be there
spezza performs with heatley and alfredsson, and now he would have had heatley and someone else (equal to or better than alf) so what is the problem there even

when you have so many great players to choose from there's always going to be a good number left off. agreed that the team doesn't seem as star-powered as usual, but with such a proven squad they really shouldn't have any problems.

well, obviously like every other year they should be 1 or 2
and the taxi squad doesn't matter, they'll never play

wow ronnie that fight in your sig is fucking pathetic
whoever the rangers goalie was is a fucking pussy for beating the shit out of someone turtling

i fucking hate whicever one that is now

salo starts the fight and then cant finish it, how is he a pussy? its danny cloutier and i love it when he taunts the isles bench

Back