Okay Brasstax

i need to sharpen my chef knife my technique must lack a little because there's always a dull spot just off the nib where i need it oh yeah

I don't cook, but I clean and tidy the kitchen so I see the mess that is left for me to clean.

Being kitchen noob I think all the knives we have are BS and I always grab a serrated steak knife to cut everything cause there are about 20 of them and then can go in the dishwasher. My rule is "if it can't go in the dishwasher it can go in the bin*."

Yes I would put your fancy knives in the dishwasher too if you didn't clean it yourself and put it away.

Steak knives all the way baby. I cut onion, tomato, meat, plastic, wood, bone, vegetables with our steak knives. All the other knives just get in the way of progress.

*unless it can be pressure washed on concrete path when I'm going the car rims

A buddy had a wife who used to accidentally cut herself in the kitchen. So, she learned how to use kitchen scissors for almost everything. Watching her prep veggies was hilarious. <snip snip snip snip>

Like Doc Holiday said, if you're not very good or fast with your cutting/chopping, a high quality, super sharp knife will help you a lot. If you're really good with knives, you can probably make do with something cheaper.

I think part of that was being able to maintain the cheap shit so it performed well. Took a lot more maintenance as performance drops quicker. At least that's how I understood my dad's point.

Back