[OFN?] The surprising truth about what motivates us

Glytch

Veteran XX
Not sure if this is OFN, but I saw this today and thought it was pretty interesting. 10 minute video talks about a study that was done on motivation and productivity.

Cliffs: Essentially, money is not the most important motivator. Who woulda thought?

pussy is the great motivator

men are motivated to get it by being the best at what they do
women are motivated to give it to the men who are the best at what they do

lookie here: i just saved you 10 minutes

pussy is the great motivator

men are motivated to get it by being the best at what they do
women are motivated to give it to the men who are the best at what they do

lookie here: i just saved you 10 minutes

came here looking for 'pussy', was not dissapointed

seems like the true problem is defining purpose. An employer would define it as to generate money, the employee doesn't care. Interesting.

The question is: are there any places actually run on principles like these?

Google does. They are very keen on doing the right/ethical thing (see China issue); they also give their software engineers a day each week to work on their own projects.

lol. did you watch the video? smart people dedicate their free time to doing great things.

I love that this is being proven. Hopefully it becomes mainstream.

Valve lets their employees pick what projects they want to work on. Doublefine wasn't doing so great until Tim Shaffer told his crew, "fuck it, make whatever you want!" and they made Trenched.

The question is: are there any places actually run on principles like these?

Many successful companies.

Our company motto - which we actually make decisions by - pretty much embodies a lot of what this guy was talking about. From day 1 my employer has given me complete autonomy to decide how I want to get from point A to point B, and also expects me and others to step outside the daily tasks of work to spend time on whatever projects we want that may have potential of being of benefit to our company.

That said, my employer is kind of the exception within our industry and there are a lot of companies in industry looking to see what we're doing.

But I know a lot of tech companies do similar things.

So I would say it's safe to assume many successful companies are already practicing what this guy is preaching. But there are a whole lot more companies out there that probably aren't doing so well that are more old fashioned in the way they operate.

Back