Official Forum Changes.

Feannag

Veteran XV
MMO-Champion reports on Battle.net updates

MMO-Champion said:
The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged.

Cliffs?

- Plans to make it so when you post in any Blizzard forum, it will show your RealID (first name and last name) in each post.

The WoW forums are rife with all sorts of things from freedom of speech/privacy nonsense all the way to supposedly true stories of people being stalked because someone found all their info using just their names.

Gogogo.

Side-note : They changes in WoW forums won't happen until cataclysm is released, and then it will only apply to new posts and old posts will remain unchanged.

Yeah I know, most are no proclaiming the official forums will die because of it. Personally I think only the truly outspoken are the ones "at risk". Vehement trolls and the stoic "you are wrong" crowd have etched themselves into the memories of some enough this could be an issue. Even then if someone is that zealous about it I don't think not knowing your real name is a huge obstacle.

Just have to see come Cata I guess, unless Blizzard retracts it.

Back