[official]2006 NFL Draft Thread

the texans already declared in the houston chronicle that they will indeed draft reggie bush which is a huge mistake in my opinion. we have capable running backs. i have personally lost all faith in carr and think we should trade him for a line and start building up on leinart

you draft reggie bush.

trade DD for more later round picks (or keep him and have the duo RB like pitts has)

rchain0214 said:
the texans already declared in the houston chronicle that they will indeed draft reggie bush which is a huge mistake in my opinion. we have capable running backs. i have personally lost all faith in carr and think we should trade him for a line and start building up on leinart

No they havent, I live in Houston and have a subscription to the chornicle and thats never been said by anyone inside the Texans. The only thing coming out of the Texans orginization is " we don't have a coach yet and that is our first priority." Everyone knows its Kubiak but until its inked we are coachless....
Being an avid Longhorn fan I'm follwing this Young/Bush debate very closely, you can not turn on a local sports radio or TV station and not hear everyone screaming to draft Young. If Mcnair doesnt grab Vince I'd seriously expect Relaint Stadium to be burned down. <-- Im not joking about that statement either

essence said:
eagles will not get white, between westbrook's new contract and the two emerging rookie moats and perry, i highly doubt it
they might go wr in holmes, a LB, or OT

The Eagles need a change of direction on offense. Last season's team was built for the pass, from the offensive line to the RBs. The main reasons the offense collapsed was obviously because of McNabb's injuries and the whole TO thing. But even before all of that, by design, they had no balance. They had the second lowest number of rushes in the league because running the ball wasn't a strength. Westbrook got most of his yards off big plays that mainly came off of draws and runs to the outside. When he had to run inside, he looked timid hitting the hole and danced around too much. After a couple of games, they wouldn't even put him in on short yardage.

The offensive line had its problems, but actually had the 11th best "power success" rating in the league, converting 68% of their power running opportunities.

Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks.

Westbrook wasn't involved in most of those plays. If memory serves me correctly, it was usually Lamar Gordon or someone else in on short yardage when they weren't passing. Westbrook and Ryan Moats are similar players, relying on their speed to get to the outside for big plays. I think Westbrook is a very good player and probably the best pass catching runningback in the game. But neither of them can stick it in there on short yardage. And Bruce Perry? Please.

I doubt the Eagles are going to be as pass happy next season, mainly because TO is gone and it didn't work this year. Reid's a smart coach and I think will try and establish more balance, especially with a new offensive coordinator coming in. The defense played pretty well last year despite constantly being placed in bad spots by the offense, so I don't think that's an immediate concern. With McNabb playing, they're a contender every year, so they need immediate fixes on offense. Rookie OL's and WR's rarely provide much of an impact right away, so I think they'll probably try and address most of that in free agency. RB's have proven to be able to be effective as rookies. It's too early to say with any certainty what direction the Eagles will go right now or what exactly LenDale White's stock is right now. But right now I think he'd be a good fit for their needs, assuming they don't bring in a free agent like TJ Duckett.

juzfugen said:
If Mcnair doesnt grab Vince I'd seriously expect Relaint Stadium to be burned down. <-- Im not joking about that statement either

im from the houston area and have been following closely also.. but what leads you to believe that?

Jislan said:
The Eagles need a change of direction on offense. Last season's team was built for the pass, from the offensive line to the RBs. The main reasons the offense collapsed was obviously because of McNabb's injuries and the whole TO thing. But even before all of that, by design, they had no balance. They had the second lowest number of rushes in the league because running the ball wasn't a strength. Westbrook got most of his yards off big plays that mainly came off of draws and runs to the outside. When he had to run inside, he looked timid hitting the hole and danced around too much. After a couple of games, they wouldn't even put him in on short yardage.

The offensive line had its problems, but actually had the 11th best "power success" rating in the league, converting 68% of their power running opportunities.

Westbrook wasn't involved in most of those plays. If memory serves me correctly, it was usually Lamar Gordon or someone else in on short yardage when they weren't passing. Westbrook and Ryan Moats are similar players, relying on their speed to get to the outside for big plays. I think Westbrook is a very good player and probably the best pass catching runningback in the game. But neither of them can stick it in there on short yardage. And Bruce Perry? Please.

I doubt the Eagles are going to be as pass happy next season, mainly because TO is gone and it didn't work this year. Reid's a smart coach and I think will try and establish more balance, especially with a new offensive coordinator coming in. The defense played pretty well last year despite constantly being placed in bad spots by the offense, so I don't think that's an immediate concern. With McNabb playing, they're a contender every year, so they need immediate fixes on offense. Rookie OL's and WR's rarely provide much of an impact right away, so I think they'll probably try and address most of that in free agency. RB's have proven to be able to be effective as rookies. It's too early to say with any certainty what direction the Eagles will go right now or what exactly LenDale White's stock is right now. But right now I think he'd be a good fit for their needs, assuming they don't bring in a free agent like TJ Duckett.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lendale come into the NFL and make an immediate impact like Cadillac and Ronnie Brown did. He already displays very good patience and runs between the tackles which seems to be the things that they have the most trouble beating into young running backs. He is also a decent blocker and good pass catcher. I can envision him remaining on the field a lot for whoever he gets drafted by (unless of course he has a pro bowler in front of him on the depth chart).

Jislan said:
21 New England - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

absolutely wont happen, bb will not draft a rb first round this year, it will be dillon and faulk next year, line issues will be addressed and holes will be opened for a healthy dillon to hopefully show he still has something left. probably next year will be a big rb signing. this year it will be a lb/safety/o line/ wr pick up

While they may not go for a rb that high, Dillon is done and the need to address that need via draft or FA.

rchain0214 said:
No. Pete Carroll told ESPN that the only way Reggie Bush would declare is if he was drafted number one, and he was told and asurred by the Texans that they would be drafting him #1.

As for who I'd like to see my team get that might not be available....Vince Young (my team is the phins), but theres no way he drops out of the top 5, and the phins don't have the cap room to move up that high. I've read that the phins might take the guy from bowling Green if he's available in the 3rd round (can't reembmer his name).

aScotiA said:
I'm far from an expert, but I think Young will go before Leinart.

saints have #2 pick in the draft and they have leinart rated higher than young.

so unless the texans do something stupid like pass on reggie bush, leinart will be #1 qb taken.

Jislan said:
shockeyshocked.gif

http://thebestsportsblog.com/?p=44.

whats that from

GroundZero333 said:
absolutely wont happen, bb will not draft a rb first round this year, it will be dillon and faulk next year, line issues will be addressed and holes will be opened for a healthy dillon to hopefully show he still has something left. probably next year will be a big rb signing. this year it will be a lb/safety/o line/ wr pick up

Apparently you didn't see the scrubs NE was forced to put in when Dillon was injured. If anything, Patrick Pass and Heath Evans out performed Kevin Faulk when they had their opportunities, and that's not really a good thing.

Actually, New England's problem is almost the opposite of the Eagles'. They've got a good power runner in Dillon but little else behind him. I don't think they're going to completely replace him until at least after next season, as he still played well this year when he was in. Don't let that 3.9 ypc fool you, Dillon had a high running success rate (not to mention New England ran up the middle a good deal more than the league average).

btw, a quick lesson on running success rate: It takes the down and distance situation when a RB is called to run the ball and then assigns a "hit" or "miss" for the play

* In general, a play counts as a "hit" if it gains 40% of yards on first down, 60% of yards on second down, and 100% of yards on third down [and 100% on fourth down].
* If the team is behind by more than a touchdown in the fourth quarter, the benchmarks switch to 50%/65%/100%.
* If the team is ahead by any amount in the fourth quarter, the benchmarks switch to 30%/50%/100%.

The number of hits is divided by the total number of runs by the RB and that gives you a percentage. This percentage is the running back's success rate. It's similar to batting average or, better yet, the on base percentage stat in baseball

Dillon is still an effective back, but he doesn't have breakaway speed anymore. New England was 31st in the league in percentage of runs over 10 yards. That's actually a stat that measures more the breakaway ability of the team's backs and less the line, as you give the line credit for the first 10 yards only (if they make a 20 yard run, chances are the line wasn't 15-20 yards down field). It's an imperfect stat because it does not take into account TE's and WR's, but never the less it's a useful tool. Interestingly enough, the team with the lowest percent of running plays that were 10 yards or more was Indianapolis, but Edgerrin James had the highest success rate in the NFL. So to be an effective running back in the NFL, you have to be able to advance the football consistantly, not just break off long runs here and there. For comparative purposes, Philadelphia had the 10th highest percentage of runs of 10 yards or greater.

It's hard to judge New England's offensive line when you factor in that they lost arguably their best lineman, Matt Light, to injury early in the season and that they were starting a rookie in his place and at guard. There was hardly any depth behind Dillon, but Patrick Pass and Heath Evans (a FB picked up off waivers halfway through the season) played well when given the chance behind the line. Despite attempting the 7th highest number of passes in the league, they had the 6th best sack rate (pass att/sack given up). I don't think New England's offense was meant to be a passing team, it just came about by necessity due to the personnel at RB.

Defense is the Patriots' biggest weakness heading into the offseason. As I said before, I think Dillon still has at least another good year left in him. Rodney Harrison should be back next year, but he's going to be 34 and is coming off a bad injury, so who knows what his role is going to be. They need players at every position, but most notabely DB's. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats took a guy like Ko Simpson or Tye Hill or traded down for more picks. But as I stated in my original post, right now I'm mainly just basing the mock draft on the best player available theory if said player fits into any of the team's needs.

wow look at me i made a power ranking list and just applied that order of people to the teams making that solection LOLZ

I'm still waiting for the day when Chavey actually contributes anything to a sports thread besides his asinine opinions of the Oakland A's.

[RZA]-VeLoCiTy said:
I am a huge Ohio State fan and all, but there is no way Ashton Youboty should be on that list.

every ohio state fan agrees with you, don't know why he's rated so highly. just like chris gamble, had a terrible jr season before going pro early.

updated draft order and, subsequently, the mock draft....

cheezit said:
every ohio state fan agrees with you, don't know why he's rated so highly. just like chris gamble, had a terrible jr season before going pro early.

I don't know either, but he is rated high. I think he's a little undersized (looks bigger than he is because of a long neck). I'm guessing it's a projection thing as he's expected to have good workouts. :shrug:

Back