[Office Chairs] Suggestions wanted

Wraithed

Veteran XX
I sit on an aeron at work and I love it. But I also work from home. I keep buying these $100.00 to $200.00 on sale chairs from Amazon or Staples and they all suck! They either end up hurting my back over the long run or they are never comfortable in the first place.

Most recently I bought a Boss leather executive chair and it came with a broken piston and after I replaced that, in less than a year, the wood under the seat cracked when I was leaning back in the chair. Basically a waste of $200.00.

Any suggestions on a chair that does not cost $900.00 but might be as durable and comfortable as my aeron from work?

For $200 your best bet is the Ikea Markus. Nothing in this price range will be as comfy as the aeron, but the markus might be as durable - 10 year warranty.

For $200 your best bet is the Ikea Markus. Nothing in this price range will be as comfy as the aeron, but the markus might be as durable - 10 year warranty.

I never said my price range was $200.00. I just said that is what I have been doing.

Any suggestions for a chair that is not $900.00?

I'm in the same boat.

I've been looking at some other Herman Miller chairs that aren't as expensive as the Aeron - like the Mirra (still expensive $600 or so) or the SAYL which is like $400.

edit: i haven't read through it, but there is a megathread about office chairs over on somethingawful: The Something Awful Forums

This link wants me to pay for a forum account. There is no way in hell I am paying for a forum account. :psyduck:

Get on craigslist and find a Steelcase Leap for less than $900. I'd get one of the later generations and definitely get a head rest. I have one at work and it's the best office chair I've ever sat in.

I have to sit on a pillow on my shitty $100 office chair at home because the foam wore completely down after a year and sitting on it gives me hemorrhoids otherwise.

Last edited:
The SAYL from Herman Miller is comfy as hell and around $400 as previously stated. It has a 12 year parts and labor warranty. I just picked up a brand new Herman Miller Embody chair for $725 that usually retails for $1200. It's far better than the Aeron.

If you have a Room and Board around, they are dropping Herman Miller and you might be able to pick up a chair for cheap.

2qntyqh.jpg

best chair ive ever owned

I've got an Aeron with most of the bells and whistles but a busted gas piston or whatever that controls the heigh (it works but is finicky) that I'll sell you for $150 + shipping

Was going to get the HM aeron but ended up with the Steel case Leap instead.

Worth every penny. Cannot believe I took this long to upgrade office chair. We spend so much time sitting and always neglect how important it is to sit with proper posture.

Leap-Chart._V394124565_.jpg

I bought a gently-used Aeron from a friend for $100.

That Steel Case chair Fed linked is probably just as good. Their shit is top shelf.

I bought a gently-used Aeron from a friend for $100.

That Steel Case chair Fed linked is probably just as good. Their shit is top shelf.

Herman Miller Eames SoftPad Executive w/ high back

gg

nothing classier than this

Was going to get the HM aeron but ended up with the Steel case Leap instead.

Worth every penny. Cannot believe I took this long to upgrade office chair. We spend so much time sitting and always neglect how important it is to sit with proper posture.

Leap-Chart._V394124565_.jpg

pretty sure this is the one I use at work, its pretty good.

i have to agree w/ bam the herman miller is still nicer than competing steelcase but steelcase is only competition

leap looks 80's chair though aeeron is timeless

leap is upgraded version from this (remember every office in 80's early 90's had it in pastel colors)

1351200664_0.jpg

Back