Odd Artifacts

Arcanox

Contributor
Veteran X
I'm pretty computer savy so I've done most of the standard checks when it comes to correcting artifacts...

I'll start off with my specs-

AMD Dual Core Opteron 165 clocked at 2450mhz, runs at stock voltage prime95 confirms it's stability. Solid as a rock.

2GB Dual channel ShikaXRam, memtest was run a month ago. No issues.

Asus A8N-E, PCI-X, Socket 939

(the offending component) Gigabyte GV-RX80L256V Radeon X800XL

----------------

I know what you guys are thinking for those of you who googled that model number. It's got a massive passive heatsink on it, no fan. I swapped the fan for a Zalman, and it does it's job. Heat is not an issue in fact my video temps are 31 C Idle, 49 C Under Full Load.

My CPU temps are roughly 31 Idle, 46 underload, temps are clearly not the issue.

I would have purchased a better video card, but I got the entire system from my friend, and I got a really good deal on the parts, even if the video card was shit, it's got a great body to it. The thing runs like a dream except for the occasional artifact. They are not white dots, or ugly pink texture burns, it's just the odd mesh that seems to be horribly stretched into spikes. This occurs on several games, FEAR, UT2004, Quake 4, COD2, HL2. The funny thing is that it happens only with very specific meshes, even meshes that are just copied geometry, it will only occur on one particular part of the mesh and not others. The effect could be compared to texture spikes, or a billboarding effect. Here are some nice examples of my problem-

spike16og.jpg

spike25aq.jpg

It only occurs are certain angles, and it's not a very frequent effect. It happens once or twice in a level. In games like Fear it seems to want to occur on the railings quite a bit. And as I said it happens in alot of games, it's not limited to the Unreal Engine.

I've already tried the latest Omega Drivers, and the Catalyst ones. Fastwrites are OFF. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Ram module temps are fine. If it's a bad chip, or a broken pipeline. I'll have to live with it. This card is only supposed to last me a few months untill I can afford a BBATI/Sapphire card. Still open to any recommendations though.

I know this might not be of much help but i had a similar problem with an old radeon card (9800 pro i think) i also tried many ways to fix it but nothing ever worked.

i ended up buying a geforce 6800 ultra and problem was fixed.

:p

I've seen that error in T:V a few times, when I had my 9800XT.

I ended up changing ATI drivers and that fixed the issue.

Back