Oblivion Newbie Help

all those games are like 50gb total, probably less

so unless visual studio 2010 and some vacation videos are taking up 200gb, you're hoarding something

Nah, only using up 160GB right now.

Err, vacation, ok, yellowstone alone took up a whole spindle of CD-R. Yeah, it's not DVD, it's CD-R as it's old stuff.

I am lazy, I got enough games right now and lots of "work in progress" stuff on the HDD. Can anyone recommend any good & cheap video editing software? I have some old TV recording too that I like to strip out commercials.

Thanks

just "rent" some video editing from the "store"

if you don't want to get super-complicated but still want a decent amount of flexibility, try Corel VideoStudio

I'm actually playing Morrowind atm. What mods do you recommend for it?

Start here with the patch project:

BTB's Morrowind Mod List

Other great ones on that site for graphical updates.

Now the gold mine: Telesphoros' List o'Mods

Go dig around that and see what interests you, there's so many possibilities there. It is endless. I highly recommend Adventurer's 3 Mod and Galsiah's Character Development. Vastly improves gameplay and difficult in many ways. Also get one that gives merchants more money (the non-modded merchants are all laughably poor and unable to buy most of your loot).

After finishing the main quests, including Bloodmoon, download "Tamriel Rebuilt." It will blow your mind

Planet Elder Scrolls - Maps, News, Oblivion, Cheats, Downloads

Start here with the patch project:

BTB's Morrowind Mod List

Other great ones on that site for graphical updates.

Now the gold mine: Telesphoros' List o'Mods

Go dig around that and see what interests you, there's so many possibilities there. It is endless. I highly recommend Adventurer's 3 Mod and Galsiah's Character Development. Vastly improves gameplay and difficult in many ways. Also get one that gives merchants more money (the non-modded merchants are all laughably poor and unable to buy most of your loot).

After finishing the main quests, including Bloodmoon, download "Tamriel Rebuilt." It will blow your mind

Planet Elder Scrolls - Maps, News, Oblivion, Cheats, Downloads

Why is morrowind better? didn't play either so I'm curious. I only got oblivion because someone recommended it and it was on sale on steam.

Why is morrowind better? didn't play either so I'm curious. I only got oblivion because someone recommended it and it was on sale on steam.

Oblivion, when sufficiently modded, is a great upper tier RPG. Morrowind blows it out of the water in every conceivable way though, save graphics. Story. Leveling. Guilds. Gameplay. Music (absolutely spectacular). Atmosphere (very beautifully somber and isolated, especially contrasted with the sterile brightness of Oblivion). Geography. Difficulty. Lore. etc etc.

go to any store or inn

walk around taking all of their food in barrels and sacks

buy all their food

turn food into stamina potions

talk to shop keeper and try the minigame to increase their disposition towards you and scream 'this makes no fucking sense' when you end up way down

sell stamina potions to shopkeeer for a lots of money

The secret to winning at vanilla Oblivion is to never or rarely level up. You can level up pretty much every time you accumulate 5 skill points. Sleeping levels you up. Don't sleep. Soon you have the combat abilities of a character 10 times your level and the monsters and NPCs are all still at your low recorded level. So you can run around in God mode.

Or you can go the other route and level up at every opportunity on skills that don't matter much as far as combat goes. Soon you'll be getting one shotted by every mob you see.

Oblivion, when sufficiently modded, is a great upper tier RPG. Morrowind blows it out of the water in every conceivable way though, save graphics. Story. Leveling. Guilds. Gameplay. Music (absolutely spectacular). Atmosphere (very beautifully somber and isolated, especially contrasted with the sterile brightness of Oblivion). Geography. Difficulty. Lore. etc etc.

Hmm, I will try to look for morrowind next year. I only have so much time for gaming now. I have too much real life committment. :(

go to any store or inn

walk around taking all of their food in barrels and sacks

buy all their food

turn food into stamina potions

talk to shop keeper and try the minigame to increase their disposition towards you and scream 'this makes no fucking sense' when you end up way down

sell stamina potions to shopkeeer for a lots of money

I'll try the mini game soon. Right now, I am simply struggling in figure out the game. I didn't know how to even look up my character's level, skill, attribute until just a few hours ago. I also just figured out how to bring up the map in the last hour. It's nuts, why do they make the interface so....simply convuluted. Why not have lots of keys so I can bring things up quickly like other games?

The secret to winning at vanilla Oblivion is to never or rarely level up. You can level up pretty much every time you accumulate 5 skill points. Sleeping levels you up. Don't sleep. Soon you have the combat abilities of a character 10 times your level and the monsters and NPCs are all still at your low recorded level. So you can run around in God mode.

Or you can go the other route and level up at every opportunity on skills that don't matter much as far as combat goes. Soon you'll be getting one shotted by every mob you see.

yeah, I just went back to my sewer save. I am going to change my birthsign to the thief to get +10 luck instead of my original pick "warrior". I need to level up strength and endurance for carrying ability + HP.

Atronach seem interesting, but I read it's not newbie friendly so probably will try it later on when I learn how to play oblivion.

I already got my heavy armor to skill level 80 while in sewer so it doesn't encumber me so much.

I'll try the mini game soon. Right now, I am simply struggling in figure out the game. I didn't know how to even look up my character's level, skill, attribute until just a few hours ago. I also just figured out how to bring up the map in the last hour. It's nuts, why do they make the interface so....simply convuluted. Why not have lots of keys so I can bring things up quickly like other games?

Because just like Skyrim, the Oblivion PC gui is a port from the x-box with little to no consideration for PC gamers.

I already got my heavy armor to skill level 80 while in sewer so it doesn't encumber me so much.

what did you do, let some rat beat on you for several hours?

Your character should be pretty uber already unless you leveled up 12 for those levels of Heavy Armor.

Nah, I just wish there was a manual or something that I can look up esaily. I looked at the My Games folder, in the steam folder, there isn't any obvious oblivion manual for me to read to get started. At least now I know how to "utilize" the game more. I was doing just the equip (as it was in tutorial) and spells (also in tutorial) that I didn't realize I can slide to the other area to look up information.

what did you do, let some rat beat on you for several hours?

Your character should be pretty uber already unless you leveled up 12 for those levels of Heavy Armor.

Yeah, I was following some wiki advise to train up some skills, such as conjuration, marksman, etc.

Then an idea hit me, if I plan to do a lot of fighting, either spell or melee, why not up my heavy or light armor skill while increase my restoration. I restarted oblivion and this time, found a bunch of heavy armor items, wore them, let rats beat on me for a while. With 4 rats, it was pretty quick. I had to block them often while waiting for my mana to recharge. I can't keep up the damage they're dishing out to me and the rats completely wasted almost all my heavy armor equipment, shoes, chest piece, legging and helmet are all at 0 when I finally reached expert level in heavy armor.

It's harder to train blade or other damage inflicting skills. I trained up my marksman to the best of my ability by shooting up all my arrows at the blades while in sewer.

Now I just need to figure out how to steal the silver sword from the emperor.

i used to use that scroll duplication gitch to make money. it's pretty much cheating though so if you don't mind cheating you might as well just use console commands.

Personally I prefer just using straight OOO but since you are new you might want to play Francesco's first since it is much easier on low level characters (in OOO you will get stomped for the first 15 levels or so).

the secret to oblivion is to get far enough in the mage guild to use the item enchanter and them just give yourself 100% Chameleon equipment.

this breaks the game as no enemy will see you and you can do whatever so if you get bored and want to rush then go for this route. otherwise don't do this or you won't have much fun as everything becomes trivial

Back