nvidia shield

cogzinofa

Veteran XV
anything interesting to do with an nvidia shield? I've tried to get out working with the brookstone rover, but I need to root first because Google at some point decided to remove the ability for devices to join an ad hoc network.

so far I can say it's great as a media player. the big heavy controller base means you don't have to hold it or prop it up if you're watching movies/tv in bed. if I can get it to control my brookstone rover and use the thumbsticks for the tread control it will be a pretty useful controller for an otherwise useless remote control camera.

it does have a pretty neat function of letting you map the thumb sticks to areas of the screen where games are using virtual thumb sticks. it works pretty well once you figure out how to configure it.

For what its worth I just purchased a tegra note 7 which is basically a shield on a 7inch screen, minus the gamepad and a gig of ram. The gaming on it second to none. Runs all the emulators I want at full speed. There is no game out now on the market that can come close to maxing it. Also, The note 7 is compatible with Xbox 360 wired controller using a USB otg cable. Other Bluetooth gamepads are compatible too.

If you want an android platform for gaming and don't care about gamestream, the note 7 is 199 bucks and performs on par with a stock shield. I purchased it for the reasons above and I couldn't be happier.

Right now though, only 16gb internal memory, so essentially 12 to play with. Jelly bean 4.3 will allow movement of apps to SD card as soon as it drops, 12gb fills up fast when you have lits of games. The note supports up to 64gb SD cards however so the internal memory won't matter once 4.3 is released.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
what emulators are you using? any recommendations for genesis and sms? I get sound but no video with dolphin. I started playing with mame with mixed results. biggest issue is that I have to rebuild my romset to work with mame4droid and I'm not having a ton of luck with that since I've never tried to do such a thing.

alright, I installed retro arch and now I'm in emu greatness. retro arch now detects and configures itself for use with the shield controls.

android | Libretro

I was not aware this thing existed. pretty nice to have everything rolled up in one package. I need to test it out with ps1 and quake.

tried out an n64 emu last night as well. worked flawlessly at full speed.

oh yeah, it seems that amazon doesn't want shield users to use their app store. the amazon app store app won't run on the shield. allegedly older versions of the apk work fine.

ok, I've tried the game streaming.

it's an interesting feature. for me it did a few things:

1) reinforced the idea that my wireless router may have issues. worked tolerably well on my 5 GHz net, not so good on the 2.4 GHz. trouble is the range of the 2.4 is less than half that of the 2.4. I encountered a lot of network trouble. for the time I'm assuming it's my aged infra and not the unit. streaming 720p apparently can be network intensive. my 5 GHz network has nothing on it. that's mostly because of the range issues. it does make for a low traffic and high throughput network. however, I do have to wonder how much of my throughput issues were caused by a 5 year old dual band router and how much was caused by having the shield as a bandwidth hungry device on a 2.4 GHz network that supports about 6 clients (on average).

2) it reminded me of why I like to play a lot of these games with a keyboard and mouse rather than a gamepad. I like keyboard and mouse. felt superior when driving cars in saints row III, but that's about it. shooting people was just blah...but I never play these games with a gamepad.

3) it streams more than just the "supported" list of games. I can stream anything from my steam account. I had thief running at one point but I couldn't conveniently control it (I could do WASD via virtual keyboard and mouse via touch screen, but that's no way to play a game). ftl launched and gave me a menu but I didn't bother starting a game because I doubted I'd enjoy it. amusingly enough fez is listed as supported but that just didn't work (blank screen). at one point I saw my desktop which makes me wonder what mechanism is built into the nvidia 6xx series of card that lets them do this streaming. is it some kind of terminal server?

I need to play with it a little more. I guess some device has to do it first, but I do have to question the wisdom of trying to sell an expensive device that has such an expensive and specific set of requirements (nvidia 6xx card or greater, really reliable 802.11n network).

teh fuck is the point of this if android shit is already portable (and designed for touch)

never expected such a blunder from nvidia

I think that perception is one of the problems the shield faces. it's really powerful compared to just about any other android device out there. it's a lot like comparing a laptop to a desktop. I have an S4 as a phone and the performance of the shield and "usefulness" of the shield for gaming blows the S4 away. if I'm playing a game or watching shit I'm doing on the shield and not my phone. it's almost too bulky to carry around, but I haven' really noticed the extra weight over the last week. and the battery life is really really good.

so I guess the point is that right now everyone playing shit or watching shit on an android device is like everyone using a laptop and ignorantly thinking "OMG this thing is so powerful!" without realizing that there's something more powerful and better out there.

all that being said I'm still up in the air over whether or not I'd actually buy one. yes, it gets used every day and I play games on it every day and watch shit on it every day. would I spend the money on it? I don't know. for watching shit previously I used my S4 and I didn't play games. is the added versatility worth the cost? I'm old and grumpy and my answer is "maybe."

the more I use it the more I like it.

Back