[NSA] Over 35 world leaders spied on, because terrorism?

BadMoFo

Contributor
Veteran XX
NSA monitored calls of 35 world leaders after US official handed over contacts | World news | The Guardian

The memo, dated October 2006 and which was issued to staff in the agency's Signals Intelligence Directorate (SID), was titled "Customers Can Help SID Obtain Targetable Phone Numbers".

It begins by setting out an example of how US officials who mixed with world leaders and politicians could help agency surveillance.

"In one recent case," the memo notes, "a US official provided NSA with 200 phone numbers to 35 world leaders … Despite the fact that the majority is probably available via open source, the PCs [intelligence production centers] have noted 43 previously unknown phone numbers. These numbers plus several others have been tasked."

But the memo acknowledges that eavesdropping on the numbers had produced "little reportable intelligence". In the wake of the Merkel row, the US is facing growing international criticism that any intelligence benefit from spying on friendly governments is far outweighed by the potential diplomatic damage.

Tell congress we're preventing "dozens" of terrorist attacks.

President says "Boo! Terrorism!"

Meanwhile, spy on multinational corporations and foreign dignitaries.

Diplomatic summons issued by France and Germany, I'm sure there are plenty more in the works.

Thanks for protecting me my government pals!

fuck. i can't believe i'm replying in a boofoo thread. my life is in shambles.

interesting to note that this memo was dated oct. 2006.

the obama administration takes a lot of shit (as well it should) for all the NSA malarkey going down, but clearly this machine has been in motion for sometime.

who it specifically targets hasn't been though.

As is its continued expansion and additional funding.

that is a choice, just like continuing to raid pot clinics in states where pot is legal.

The problem is they didn't spend enough to keep this covered up properly. Needs additional funding. No reason we can't spare a bit more of the budget on these sort of things.

fuck. i can't believe i'm replying in a boofoo thread. my life is in shambles.

interesting to note that this memo was dated oct. 2006.

the obama administration takes a lot of shit (as well it should) for all the NSA malarkey going down, but clearly this machine has been in motion for sometime.

It's definitely been going on for a while, but it should've been stopped years ago.

I'm impressed France can complain about being spied on when their industrial espionage is literally more vast than China's or Russia's, particularly against Germany.

Is this what Owebomba meant by improving America's world image?

It fascinates me how people completely bought into the dopey 'hope & change' thing while this admin not only expanded policies from the previous admin, but quietly signed into law policies that enhance the surveillance powers of the State.

Back