[Not-Political] The outcome of the 2004 Presidential election

Cuthbert

Veteran X
I have an american politics exam tomorrow, which I feel fairly well prepared for. However, I'm sure they'll ask a question about the election last year (how could they not?) and I was just wondering if, for you guys - the majority of you being from the USA - any particular political issue or social factor stood out as leading to Bush's win?

If I can throw in a few varying viewpoints it'll make me feel a shitton more confident.

Personally, I'm going to write about things like Iraq (duh), 9/11, Christian Right, the ridiculous race for candidacy for the Democrats, an inability to refocus the argument onto the economy.... what's your view?

The inability for the democrats to focus on any one issue and not represent mainstream America. Bush also had a message after 9/11 and that was "I'm going to protect you, this won't happen again under my watch." Love or hate the Spanish Inquisition tactics of the administration/fbi/cia they seem to be working. I like going into tall buildings to enjoy the view, work, etc. I feel good under their watch.

Swami said:
The inability for the democrats to focus on any one issue and not represent mainstream America.

You sound like a Fox News pundit. The Republicans don't represent 'mainstream America' any more than the Democrats do. They may, however, be perceived as doing so.

Or maybe mainstream America is really full of chauvanistic, homophobic, rich white Christian males who believe America is infallible.

But probably not.

CMVDA said:
Kerry flip flopped more than a whore in bed alone

So did Bush, for four years. The difference is what the media and the Republicans did with Kerry's flip flops.

Just like the above poster who thinks he is SOoooo smart. Kerry supporters were so annoyingly gay that it made everyone vote Bush. Thats how the election was won.

They thought they were just so smart and so sure of themselves, it was hilarious watching them all crumble and cry. The democratic party is in ruins.

The biggest reason was fear. Fear of terrorism. Fear of homosexual lifestyles being thrust into public view. Fear of crime, inaction, etc. It also didn't help that Kerry is indecisive and has the personality of a tree stump.

Kerry's clear anti-gun voting record, coupled with his pathetic attempts to pass himself off as a gun-friendly hunter. The bullshit is strong with this one (yes, even for a politician).

I think the biggest outcome is gridlock (ironically). A lot of new Republicans that are fiscally conservative/small government came into power in the election and they have been some of the larger setbacks for Bush. The result is not much getting done.

Contrast that with the first term, where literally everything Bush wanted passed congress, historically his first term was one of the strongest presidencies in modern history in that regard.

More or less everything that Bush ran on is still on the table atm, including SS reform, his newest budget, the energy bill, judges and the like. Many of those could still go either way.

I don't think it was the main factor, But I do believe having the Gay Marriage as a Ballot question in close states like Ohio dragged the Christian Fanatics to the poll booths who were more likely to vote for Bush once they got there.

I personally think fear won it. That advertisement with the wolves seemed like a good representation of why he won. He scared the shit out of the public by making them think "If you vote for Kerry, the terrorists will attack and your unborn baby will EXPLODE."

Stihl said:
Bush's cousin who was in charge of couting votes probably helped.

hitlarbush4lyfe

Welcome to 5 years ago. We're talking about 2004, here. Get with the program.

Back