[No Pics]WTF is this spider?

Sigma

Veteran X
I have recently located a small, shiney, black spider around a stand lamp in a corner. It's shape very closely resembles that of a black widow spider, yet through careful examination (through binoculars with a flashlight) I have been unable to locate any red markings. It seems to be about half an inch in size, though it is difficult to judge due to the location of the lamp. I live in a Chicago suburb.

My question is: What spider could this be and should it die?

2005_0726.JPG

Sigma said:
I have recently located a small, shiney, black spider around a stand lamp in a corner. It's shape very closely resembles that of a black widow spider, yet through careful examination (through binoculars with a flashlight) I have been unable to locate any red markings. It seems to be about half an inch in size, though it is difficult to judge due to the location of the lamp. I live in a Chicago suburb.

My question is: What spider could this be and should it die?
Criteria for spider killing, answer with yes or no:

A) Is said spider inside your home? (y/n)
B) Is said spider a pet of someone living inside your home? (y/n)

If you answered yes to question A, ignore question B and kill said spider immediately.

My prediction is its a Brown Recluse spider that sprayed itself with
MSB.JPG
to hide its true identity. Now that you hesitated you are dead.

Good job being fooled by a spider you dumb piece of shit.

Remember that the marking is under the belly/abdomen. You have to flip it on its back.
Spiders are important to the environment and play a crucial role in the eco system and circle of life.
That being said, kill the fucker.

It seems it might actually be a black 'false widow.' They are apparently predators of the hobo spider, so that could be a potential plus. The single spider doesn't really bother me much, but it has a few eggsacs around the web, and I don't want a bunch of these bastards around the house. Only once I see it take down a hobo spider in mortal combat will they earn the right to stay here.

I have a spider living in the corner of my room, it has killed about 20 centepedes in the last month or two.

I know this, because their shells are still sitting next to its web.
spiders are awesome when not biting me!

Sigma said:
I have recently located a small, shiney, black spider around a stand lamp in a corner. It's shape very closely resembles that of a black widow spider, yet through careful examination (through binoculars with a fleshlight)

And this thread is so spydur.

I took my curtains and blinds down yesterday and found a little spider in the corner at the bottom, he had about 3 flies in his web. I thought about vac. him out and just a few minutes later a fly flew into his graps and he wound it up in web, it was amazing how fast that spider was. I decided to keep him since he is keeping the flies down.

False Black Widow

Range and Habitat
In the United States, False Black Widows occur in southern coastal states and west coast states ranging south into Baja California, Mexico. In San Diego County they are found in lower coastal habitats. These spiders are common around dwellings and gardens as well as under rocks and wood.

stea-gro_jberrian.jpg

stea-gro2_jberrian.jpg

4110.jpeg

Southern Black Widow
The Southern black widow spider - Latrodectus mactans is distributed from southern New England to Florida west to eastern Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. They are more common in the southern part of their geographical range, hence their name "southern black widow". The jet black color, rounded abdomen, and red hourglass marking on abdomen is distinctive for for this spider. Adult spiders average 1.5 inches long.

blackwidow1.jpg

I would guess that its a blackwidow and kill the thing rather than take any chances.

I thought only the female black widows carried the red hourglass on their figure and the males did not. Either way, kill the fucker.

I am going to be leaning towards it being a false black widow, seeing as it is under an inch in length (I believe) and certainly not 1.5 inches. Either way, I don't really feel like having these guys in my home. Any suggestions for eliminating the spider in question and the eggs?

liar2 said:
I thought only the female black widows carried the red hourglass on their figure and the males did not. Either way, kill the fucker.

Males are tiny, you wouldn't mistake a male black widow for a female.

bwmale.jpg

BlackWidow8.jpg

Last edited:
Back