No dedicated server for Legions, enjoy your new cable modem overlords

Discourse

Veteran XV
That's right. It seems InstantAction will at most support a few in-house servers but the dedicated server binary will not be publicly available. What this means is that your average game of Legions will be hosted by some random dude with cable internet. He might also at any time jump out of the game so that you and the 14 other lag-ridden players will get booted back to the lobby.

I sincerely hope they come out with a way to have community hosted dedicated servers but at the moment it doesn't seem that way.

Now would be the time to worry.

That's right. It seems InstantAction will at most support a few in-house servers but the dedicated server binary will not be publicly available. What this means is that your average game of Legions will be hosted by some random dude with cable internet. He might also at any time jump out of the game so that you and the 14 other lag-ridden players will get booted back to the lobby.

I sincerely hope they come out with a way to have community hosted dedicated servers but at the moment it doesn't seem that way.

Now would be the time to worry.

Where did you hear this information? Because I've heard the exact opposite....

edit : actually, ignore this guy. He is talking out of his ass.

yeah... it couldn't be true, there's physically no way a home connection could handle more than a few players

Quote from: ENIGma on March 05, 2008, 05:01:38 PM
we're just going to have to wait for someone to hack the legions gibson and make a dedicated client with our own master server and dedicated server support Smiley

oh and then mod T1 physics/weapons into it.
MungeParty

Let me knowif you need help. Cheesy
(kidding...)

If IA doesn't get with the program, there's no doubt in my mind that's exactly what's gonna happen. Cry

On a slightly less depressing topic, ThinkTanks chooses one user and starts a listen server. If/when IA gets dedicated servers hooked up they will probably be a separate executable that will most likely be tucked away on servers somewhere and never officially distributed to the public.

If it has changed, good, but I have not seen anyone confirm a distributable server binary. Oh, and shut the fuck up Blitz.

Edit: here's the thread Login

wait, how could this possibly work?

A bunch of console developers have done this

It's my primary complaint with CoD 4...in the interest of saving money all games are hosted on someone's PS3 and the result is that half of all games never finish and players spend more time fucking about, waiting for games than actually playing.

Fuck Infinity Ward

If it has changed, good, but I have not seen anyone confirm a distributable server binary. Oh, and shut the fuck up Blitz.

this thread has absolutely nothing to do with a dedicated server...

they're talking about a downloading game CLIENT

edit: I kept reading and they do start talking about it, but none of them have any idea what's going to happen, and none of them are IA

Because I am under NDA, I will gladly keep my mouth shut. But it doesn't change the fact that I know something you don't, and you ARE talking out of your ass. So this argument is over. :domotwak:

gtfo.

If/when IA gets dedicated servers hooked up they will probably be a separate executable that will most likely be tucked away on servers somewhere and never officially distributed to the public.

If IA started doing dedicated/shared server rentals, that could be huge and a big income for them (so long as the price was right and the servers didn't suck).

So are you saying that people can't download and run their own dedicated servers? Or am I just misunderstanding this?

yeah that is what he is saying (if a dedicated server even happens, which I'm guessing is not likely)

If I'm reading it wrong, I'm not the only one.

Back