NGFM was right

i have a vision of at least two maybe ten consumer reports about different hemi cars, pages dog eared and spines worn

Dodge transmissions suck. I think mostly its because how they change trans fluid now. They don't actually pull the pan, clean the pan, replace the filter. THey just stick a tube down in the fill tube and vacuum it out. Well that still leaves a filter in there that needs to be changed. It keeps getting more and more clogged until the trans basically fries

No one will probably believe me, but a close personal friend bought a brand new Hemi Charger and the transmission failed literally turning out of the dealership. Dodge gave him the runaround for months and eventual replaced the tranny. But he knew he could never trust it and immediately traded the car at a huge loss.

Last edited:
The V8's run hotter as well, the engines have problems. My mechanic said the V6 runs much better. Mine is still running. Don't have to drive as much because we're working from home. I can do most maintenance and if something major breaks I've got a local mechanic I found on Yelp who is honest that I pay in cash. The only bummer with my V6 Charger is the gas mileage isn't that great (19 is the average), it doesn't have the newest toys (lane assist, adaptive cruise control, rear camera), and the insurance is high because they consider it a sports car, even if it's a V6 and I baby it. I want a Toyota Camary with all the toys.

Last edited:
Yeah, the ZF trans is more desirable. Dodge makes stout trucks, but their transmissions suck. This 2500 has the stronger transmission I was going to auctions around the time all the dodge 1500 transmissions were failing. People would bid them up pretty high just for the transmissions.

Last edited:
My family has owned every generation of Chrysler minivan. My parents currently have a 2006 and a 2002. The transmissions are mostly sorted out now, but every earlier gen we've replaced transmissions left and right. I got pretty good at it...

I had one blow apart on a mountain road near the cumberland gap. Ka WHAM! and a giant pink cloud of transmission fluid. The differential spider pin had worked out and caught the case. Blew a fist sized hole in the case. Left at a friendly farmers place, took a rental home, slapped a new frame under my toyota truck, pulled the rental back with 10 miles left in the contract and pulled the van back home.

Last edited:
A lot of the RAM trucks are using ZFs now. I have a 2019 ram rebel that has it. I had a 2016 BMW 750 that also had the exact same 8HP75 second gen zf transmission. It's a very smooth shifting transmission that i've had no issues with. I've had 3 BMW 750s, an X5 and X6, all V8s with a version of the ZF. So basically if its a chrysler and a 5 speed, its going to suck. If its an 8 speed, it'll likely be the ZF.

This is all the ZF equipped FCA vehicles taken from ZF wiki

Alfa Romeo

Alfa Romeo Giulia
Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Chrysler

Chrysler 300 V6 (2012+ MY),[29] V8 (2015+ MY)
3.6 (845RE)
5.7 (8HP70)

Dodge

Dodge Challenger (2015+ MY)
3.6 (845RE)
5.7, 6.4 (8HP70)
6.2 (8HP90)
Dodge Charger
3.6, 2012+ MY,[30] 845RE
V8 (2015+ MY; 5.7, 6.4 8HP70; 6.2 8HP90)
Dodge Durango [31][32](2014 MY+)
3.6 (845RE 2014-2017, 850RE 201:cool:
5.7 (8HP70)

Jeep

Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2) (2014 MY+)
3.6 (845RE 2014-2016, 850RE 2017-)
3.0, 5.7, 6.4 (8HP70)
6.2 Supercharged (8HP95)
Jeep Wrangler/Unlimited (JL) (2018 MY+)
2.0, 3.6 (850RE)
3.0 (8HP75 2020-)
Jeep Gladiator (JT) (2020 MY+)
3.6 (850RE)

Maserati

Maserati Ghibli III
Maserati Quattroporte[34]
Maserati Levante
Ram Trucks

Ram 1500 3.6 L V6 (2013 MY+)
Ram 1500 3.0 L V6 (2014 MY+)
Ram 1500 5.7L V8[35][36][37] (2013 MY+)
Ram 2500/3500 6.4L V8 (2019 MY+)

just get a tesla you'll have more fun with it

I drive 260 miles when going from my house to where my dad lives. Yes, there are charging stations on the Turnpike, but I'd have to wait 31 minutes for the car to charge. The range is still the problem with electric vehicles.

Over 7k comments talking about the problem. This is why I want a fully loaded Camry with a 4 cylinder engine. Won't have to stop at the gas station as much.

Last edited:
shake hands with the dealer, you get a good transmission that way

Until recently I was an engineer for ZF production, did the 8 and 9 speed

they are good shit

Last edited:
I drive 260 miles when going from my house to where my dad lives. Yes, there are charging stations on the Turnpike, but I'd have to wait 31 minutes for the car to charge. The range is still the problem with electric vehicles.

Over 7k comments talking about the problem. This is why I want a fully loaded Camry with a 4 cylinder engine. Won't have to stop at the gas station as much.
Get a camry hybrid

Get a camry hybrid
They only make sense for city driving. They don't get better mileage at speed.

I'd get a fully EV before getting a hybrid anyway. It's just more shit to go wrong when you're adding another motor/system.

Back