[Nexus 6] Just activated my new phone.

Lineage

Veteran XV
Initial impressions:

• This phone is big. I have medium-sized hands and it's slightly awkward to reach across the screen with my thumb.
  • The Power/Lock and Volume buttons are in a slightly awkward position. It's as if the design team decided they wanted a really huge phone and realized that the default button positioning wouldn't work for people that aren't Andre the fucking Giant, so instead they're in the middle.
  • Speakerphone/Sound quality is sort of mediocre so far, but I haven't really played around much.
  • Everything is very snappy, this is the most responsive phone I've ever held, including the new iPhone.
  • Screen quality is great, but I have very squinty eyes so it's hard to be sure.
  • The phone feels well constructed and has no obvious flexing or cheap plastic that bends when you grip the phone, a major gripe I have with many Samsung phones.
  • Despite the massive proportions, it's not a particularly heavy phone.
  • If you already have a google phone, you can use NFC on initial setup to push all of your account/app information to the new phone, thereby saving you hours of setup. This is actually pretty neat.
  • It works as a phone. It's stupid that this is worth mentioning, but there are lots of "phones" out there that do not fucking work as a phone.

Please note that, starting from the Galaxy Nexus, I've owned every single flagship Google Phone, so obviously I'm biased.

Also, I'm on Verizon. This phone is not yet supported by Big Fucking Red, and it potentially takes some shenanigans to get it to work. You will need to transfer an already active Verizon Sim Card to the Nexus 6 (note that it takes nano, if you have a micro sim you'll have to get it cut). Verizon stores will not activate a sim for you. They will insist that it's "impossible" to activate the phone, and they will not activate a bare sim card for you without a phone. Verizon customer service is largely the same story.

If you already have a Verizon smart phone, you can activate a Sim Card with it, and then transfer it over to the Nexus 6. After rebooting the phone, it will work without any further hassle, but obviously this is not a Verizon-supported device.

AFAIK Verizon is the only carrier with this issue, because they need their logo and shitty branding software on all their devices before they sign off on them.

I'm still waiting for 64gb white to be in stock. They are calling it the unicorn since no one has one.

:lol: google late 2 the 6 inch party as usual, meanwhile i am using a 6+

not trying to start an apple vs android thing, but that is about the same size but only 5.5". the g3 is 5.5" and a decent amount smaller

I have one as well. Flagship devices on android always suffer from horrible bloat - the note 4 has a blood o2 sensor, for instance. The 6 is a perfect phone. Stock experience, top flight hardware. The only phone that I would compare it to is an iPhone.. really nice bloat-free software, top quality hardware. Google gets that consumers have no interest in paying for a phone that has great hardware, then slows it down with battery-killing fluff.

no led light or tap to wake will bug me i think, it doesnt have the 'wave over' feature motox does

have to pick it up (which doesn't always work) or hit power button on side to see notifications? :/

There is an rgb LED hidden behind the top speaker, and tap to wake (and sleep) is available via mod/roms. It also has active display, so you don't have to pick it up to see notifications.

active display turns off though after a few seconds right?

the hidden LED speaker can't be made to blink i think

tap to wake = battery eater if not supported in hardware like g3? not sure about that one

tap to wake is kinda supported with the n6. hardware is supported, they just removed the functionality for some reason.

thats kinda dumb. i guess one downside (for some people) is they could make small adjustments to stock nexus to really make the phone shine more, but that would be going against stock android idea. of course you can unlock bootloader and mod "easily" but not all people do that.

i dont like how they turned encryption on by default either. i may turn that off.. but i may not root so i can use Good for work and NFC payments :/

Last edited:
Back