News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

Im going to work on this for another week and than I will be done...I went over 10 color schemes and patteren changes...this is 60% done. Just adding mine for C&C. AND thank you for liking it Glerp and others! I will post the sides and back when I get there :) I'm just taking a section at a time...There are some great artist here so this is going to be a tough competition. Somebody throw a knife at Trinity and Kush so we others can have a chance :p
Trin/Kush I love ya buds!

Last edited:
dunce_boy said:
C&C welcome.
wip8.jpg

wow that looks really awesome

dunce_boy said:
alright, im almost done.
I still need to do the bump map, luminosity map, and the reflection map (that is what the alpha of the main files are, reflection...right?).

This render is 100% self illuminating....no lights or anything added to the scene (mostly cause I suck at max ;) ).

C&C welcome.
wip8.jpg

Someone has been busy. Good to see some completely original skins getting done here. :) The alpha of the main map is specular mask, (how much the surface will reflect the lighting in the level). make anything you want to look shiny white, and put some noise over it to get that warn spekkl'd metal effect.

Zero-Optix said:
Here is a update on mine...I took some suggestions from local TW peeps and did some touch ups-also adding the little flames and such that would be needed to match the Phoenix-I thought about a Trans Am logo but thats a bit much-lol Thanx for the nice replies so far!
:)
http://zero.thelegionofdoom.org/images/Contest1.jpg
I like the general design quite a bit, but I think it's too busy. The new flames you added detract, I like your original use of texture for added detail. I also thing the red on the shoulders detracts from the total. And the face/head is far too busy. Pick one or two elements you like and make them look really good instead of tacking on 500 little things. Also remember that this will almost never bee seen from as close as your render, so tending to the bold side would probably be good.

Standard Disclaimer: This is simply my opinion. I am not a judge.

Disclaimer: I am also not a judge, nor do I have any skinning ability whatsoever.

I think that skin is very well put together, sort of an elite ranger of sorts for the CoP, I'd love to play in a skin like that.

Readme.txt said:
I. Packaged Files
-----------------------------
PhoenixMedium.max - 3d Studio Max model of medium armor (* 301 KB)
PhoenixMediumBody.tga - Main skin for body of model (1024x1024 4,097 KB)
PhoenixMediumBody_Normal.tga - Normal map for body of model (1024x1024 3,073 KB)
PhoenixMediumBody_Wirefream.tga - Wireframe of skin for body (1024x1024 3,073 KB)
PhoenixMediumhead.tga - Main skin for head of model (512x512 1,025 KB)
PhoenixMediumhead_Lum.tga - Luminosity file for head of model (512x512 257 KB)
PhoenixMediumhead_Normal.tga - Normal map for head of model (512x512 769 KB)
PhoenixMediumhead_wireframe.tga - Wireframe of skin for head (512x512 1,025 KB)
targa.zip - Targa plug-in fix for Photoshop 7 (* 15 KB)
Readme.txt - This file

Is there spposed to be a luminosity for the body?

they didnt include one with the pack because there was no need for one with the orginal skin. You can create one if you like though, as it states in the readme.

It doesn't look like black flames on an orange background so much as orange curlicue thingies on a black background.

Also I am not judging this contest. Just to be clear.

here is my sort of work in progress, i haven touched it in like a week and a half because im working 5 days a week now and just want to have fun on weekends

kindawork.jpg

yes i know it is very flat, i havent added any real texture to the white paint at all but other than that, this is the direction it is heading (prolly wont finish in time for the contest but i still like doing it)

the cod piece is there just as a guide, couldnt figure out where all the textures went

dunce is owning this contest so far. If Trinity would finish his all metal skin he would win my vote I think. His current skin is too much like the original. Good work from Zero, Trin, and Dunce so far.

Back