[New PC] It's that time again ...

SaintDude

Miss Deaf Texas++
Veteran XX
Been a while since I picked up gear for a new computer. Figured I'd bounce this off you guys before I hit the go button. All parts are from Newegg except the monitor.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX: $159

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150: $239

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600: $139

Video Card: MSI Gaming N780 TF 3GD5/OC GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit : $669

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III MLC: $239.00

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5": $99

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z: $89

Power Supply:SeaSonic X Series X-850 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular: $169

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler: $109

Fans: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Case Fan: $29 ea.

Monitor: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 2ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight : $380 (Amazon, Newegg wants $580?)

Bottom line is about $2150 for the PC plus monitor.

All parts were selected based off price (duh), reviews and if there are moving parts involved ... noise. This "should" be a pretty strong performer while being fairly quiet. Didn't want to go quite to the Titan level or the Core i7 due to the prices not being worth the small performance bumps.

If you're wondering about the all-in-one water loop it's there mostly for noise reduction than performance. I thought about a custom loop but I've done it before and don't feel like dicking with it again now. Power supply is a bit overkill but I'm planning on doing some overclocking this time around.

youre spending over 2k and not getting an i7

i mean im not like 100% on top of my game when it comes to pc building anymore bc i dont give a fuck

but even 5 years ago if i was spending 2k+ and not getting and i7 id just be in ariel castros basement getting fucked

You're spending that much anyway, why not get 32GB and the Core i7? Also, why do you need the sound card? You should also get 2 of the physical HDs so you can mirror them for your data.

i just read where you said the i7 wasnt worth the performance bump for the price

you prolly shouldnt get that gfx card then

if you're looking for price + performance, you should be looking at a 600 series, not a 700

youre spending over 2k and not getting an i7

i mean im not like 100% on top of my game when it comes to pc building anymore bc i dont give a fuck

but even 5 years ago if i was spending 2k+ and not getting and i7 id just be in ariel castros basement getting fucked

From everything I've read the only performance boost I'd get out of an i7 is if I'm running multi threaded applications like video editing etc. The biggest hit this system will be taking will be gaming and since most games don't use that functionality it's worthless. I'm better off buying the i5 and ramping up the clock speed while saving a $100 in the process.

You're spending that much anyway, why not get 32GB and the Core i7? Also, why do you need the sound card? You should also get 2 of the physical HDs so you can mirror them for your data.

Same memory in a 32gb kit would cost another $125 and I can't think of a time I'd actually need that much. The only reason I'm going 16gb right now is for a bit of future proofing. The 8gb in my current system is holding on reasonably well right now. The i7 I've already covered.

Sound card is because I have never liked on board audio. I always seem to hear the interference from the motherboard chattering away. I have a sound card in my current system but its a bit older and I'd like to have something that has a better amp on it to drive my headphones better. I don't need two of the physical drives tbh man. I have the SSD for my OS and games. The 2TB drive I have is for some basic storage but anything important is backed up off system anyway.

okay but how long do you expect this system to last you?

i remember when everyone was like LOL WHY DO I NEED DUAL CORE ONLY VIDEO EDITING USES THAT GAY SHIT and then like a year later every single fucking game that came out was "optimized for dual core processors"

so im just saying

you're blowing 2k so this isn't your "I'll keep it for 6 months and get bored pc"

and switching between an i5 and an i7 definitely mandates a mobo upgrade, regardless of current compatibility issues

i just read where you said the i7 wasnt worth the performance bump for the price

you prolly shouldnt get that gfx card then

if you're looking for price + performance, you should be looking at a 600 series, not a 700

There isn't any performance bump for my my needs with the i7. The 780gtx, however, is a baby Titan basically and is on the new architecture. It's the reason why I went 780 instead of the 770 as the 770 is in nvidias older technology. I'm putting money where I'll need it, in this case graphics performance.

Still don't know why you're going on about the i7 if is will give me near zero performance increase.

okay but how long do you expect this system to last you?

i remember when everyone was like LOL WHY DO I NEED DUAL CORE ONLY VIDEO EDITING USES THAT GAY SHIT and then like a year later every single fucking game that came out was "optimized for dual core processors"

so im just saying

you're blowing 2k so this isn't your "I'll keep it for 6 months and get bored pc"

and switching between an i5 and an i7 definitely mandates a mobo upgrade, regardless of current compatibility issues

My average turnover is 2-3 years between systems so I'm hardly blowing this for a 6 month run. Core i7 has been out since 2009 and the gaming industry still hasn't made any rumblings to catch up so I'm not really worried about it.

Also, switching from i5 to i7 doesn't mandate any mobo upgrade. You just pop in the new chip unless it's another socket change. I'm buying the mobo and chip as LGA1150 at the same time so ... no issue? 0_o

Seems like a good build to me. People are looking @ the total and not noticing you have a monitor in there. That + that ridiculously expensive GeForce causes the price to skyrocket.

Stick with the i5. Most games still aren't even multi-core optimized, much less hyperthreaded. Not worth it (assuming this is a gaming rig, dunno why you'd have that GeForce otherwise).

If I had to change anything it'd be the graphics (AMD guy myself). Can get good performance for a much better price ratio usually. Other than that it's good. I have an Asus Phoebus soundcard personally and it works great.

The cooler is meh (for me). I usually stick with air unless I want to do real water cooling. To each their own in that category.

Last edited:

what does this mean? the motherboard has z87 chipset which supports both gen 4 i5 and i7.

You will most likely NEVER make use of the i7 hyperthreading. it's a gimmick and you'll probably turn it off because turning it off gives you cooler temps and will let you overclock more. no game out there comes anywhere near to making use of 4 cores, let alone 8. gaming is all about the GPU these days. if you're doing some extreme video editing, you might consider the i7, but otherwise it's a waste. and the last time i checked, most programs don't even support hyperthreading.

if thats honestly the way you see it, then spend your money the way you want without bugging us for our opinion that you obviously dont want to hear

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker

going the visual route or planing on putting it in a case?

Already have the case doggie. Thank you for watching out for me. :D

8502078360_61c77d179f_z.jpg

hey saintdude, you must be pretty pumped with all the recent trains in the news

1374790737325.cached.jpg

why are you getting a soundcard?
and what made you decide on that mobo?

when i was shopping specs a few months ago, trying to figure out the right mobo to go with was a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
Back