New Jersey people: advice needed

we dont call it jersey shitty for nothing ;)

I live about 20 minutes from there (traffic) and I avoid it like the plague.

living wise you might want to consider hoboken, edgewater or fort lee but there is a huge asian population there so if you cant deal with that, dont bother looking.

if you want to come out my way a bit you should be looking at rutherford, wood ridge, hasbrouck heights if you want a more suburban lifestyle without too long of a commute. there is plenty of public transportation to get you down to JC

if you dont mind driving, you can look around morris county as there are plenty of nice towns like montville and rockaway. if you prefer more of a city feel then parsippany and morristown are good bets. but your commute will go to around an hour depending on traffic, which pretty much is always fucking terrible

I lived in Jersey City for almost 10 years. If you like the NYC area, and you want to live in the city, then Jersey City is nice, and a much better value than Hoboken.

As long as you stay within the square formed by 78 (north and west), Liberty State park (to the south), and the Hudson river (to the east) -- then you are probably in good shape.
Do not venture anywhere in JC outside of that square (except maybe the Journal Square area for Indian food).

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks everyone. The more I read about it the more I like the idea of just getting a studio in Manhattan and taking PATH on the reverse commute.

FYI...You might need to pay NYC local income tax if you do that. (I'm not 100% sure, since you'll be working in NJ.) The tax rate is around 3.5%.

Living in NY and working in NJ is not ideal, from a tax perspective.

You pay nj income tax on your earnings, then pay NYS the extra for their higher tax rate, then the nyc tax (i think, I don't live in the city). it makes for complicated filing.

I guess if you like nanny state bullshit you can't get much better than Jersey. Enjoy.

Benefits of living in NY:

you can get a concealed carry permit for NYS. I think it is very difficult for non-residents.

If you get a speeding ticket in nj, you just pay that shit and forget about it. NYS doesn't find out about it.

It's not a good state if you like guns with usable clip sizes.

Back