New computer keeps turning on and off

Dat

Veteran X
I just finished building this computer about a week ago and everything was fine at first. There were no problems installing windows, running software, and the temperatures were within reason when it was under load.

After putting it on standby one night, the computer will no longer boot up. Instead, when it powers on the following happens:

-the case, cpu, and gpu fans turn on
-the led lights on the motherboard, gpu, and dvd drive come on

Then in about 8 seconds the computer shuts off. It doesn't make a beep and the monitor never gets a signal. The computer then turns back on a second or so later and starts the whole process over (though sometimes it will power on for only 2-3 seconds).

I tried taking out different components like the gpu, hd, dvd, and ram to see if they were the culprit, but no luck. I also tried resetting the CMOS which didn't solve the problem.

Thinking it was a problem with the motherboard (google turned up other people with similar issues), I decided to RMA it. I just got the replacement in today and it is having the same problem, which makes me think that the issue has to be with either the processor or the power supply.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare processor or ps to test, so I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas before I have to RMA those as well.

My specs:
Intel Core Duo E8400
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
G Skill 4Gb DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon 4830
Antec EarthWatts 500W Power Supply

I have an Intel E8500 with a similar issue but I'm running mine on an ASUS P5Q mobo. It does the same thing where when I put it into standby it ends up shutting off when I try to pull it out of it and turns back on. To solve the problem I just either don't put it in standby or shut it off completely. I'm thinking maybe it could be a CPU issue more than a mobo problem since its also happening to me.

EDIT: I have 4GB DDR2 G Skill as well (although the 1066). Seems more likely that this would be a ram issue now that I think about it.

Gents it seems that you have a PS issue first these days you should nothing less then a
650 or better. PS seems to be fubared change it out and see if that solves the problem.
CPU do you see boot screen at all or it just reboots, if u see the boot screen and dont see
a error on it then u have ur answer.

is it possible you have a short to the case somewhere? take the board out and try running it on a cardboard box outside of the case. that is a good way to exclude any random issues like that.

honestly I ran into something like this once and I actually had gotten 2 bad boards in a row.

Back