Need a good turn based strategy game

burnsep

Veteran X
I think I may have exhausted myself on Alpha Centauri (and Alien Crossfire). I'm looking for something about as deep or deeper if possible, while still being awesome. Any recommendations?

A friend told me to take a look at Call to Power II, but I think I remember it got bad reviews when it came out. Yes/no?

Galactic Civilizations, but I don't know if that's un-Alpha Centauri enough for you. I enjoy it a lot myself, and the sequel is coming out some time this year.

That's the only turn based strategy game I've gotten into :shrug:

Heroes of M&M 4...turn based, can play with a beer in one hand (a criteria for any good game), and after some time off, you can pick it up again and it's fun for awhile :D

Silent Storm was ok for a while until the game bugs completely killed the gameplay. I also heard that Civ 3 sucked- was I misinformed?

X-COM to the motherfucking UFO Defense.

Stuntin' bitches left and right with my blaster bomb style... :dapimp:

Age of Wonders

burnsep said:
Silent Storm was ok for a while until the game bugs completely killed the gameplay. I also heard that Civ 3 sucked- was I misinformed?

Check out the expansion.
If you already have Silent Storm but where pissed at the bugs and the wacky sci fi theme it had near the end, you'll love the expansion. Basically, it turns the game into a prettier version of Jagged Alliance 2. It takes what was good about the original and piles on the good stuff (although it does still have some annoying bugs here and there).

While not exactly turn based in the classical sense, the Combat Mission series is awesome (unless you're sick of WWII games). It's really indepth and it looks great too.

Might also want to check out the latest Imperium Galactica, although I'm not entirely sure if it's still turn based. I know it focuses a lot more on combat than the second one (which had sucky ass combat but awesome everything else). I think there's a demo still floating around. I remember it looked great.

ImperiumGalactica.com includes this little tidbit: Maintained by the game's developer, www.imperiumgalactica2.com will serve as your outpost for the latest and greatest in downloadable files, news about IG2, and for finding others against whom to play online.

Try the link. Ouch.

Other that that, is the game any good?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/imperiumgalactica2alliances/review.html
That's the gamespot review, I suggest you read that and make up your mind (there's also a demo floating on 3dgamers).
I haven't played that game in forever but I recall enjoying the whole "space conquest" aspect of it; you could as the title suggests make a nice galactic empire after a while. It wasn't exactly turn based, but it had a pause button for battles and whatnot so you'll spend a lot more time managing your stuff and planning attacks than anything else.
You either hate it or love it really :)
It did have some major flaws (ground combat was crap and quite buggy).

Back