[NBA Draft] Who Goes to Rip City?

Magus

Veteran XX
As a Sonics fan, basically i'm just in a wait-and-see mode.

So the question is, who will end up going #1? Any Blazers fans out there? What do you feel is the best choice?

It's funny, there is something about Durant that I want in Seattle, i think Oden is a safer bet and I guess if I was given the choice, i'd have to take Oden. But the Blazers GM seems very fond of Durant?

How good are these guys in general? Is this a better class than 03?

i'd like to hear what people think; either way the Northwest division just got absurdly talented. kinda feel bad for the Atlantic division.

03 is probably the strongest draft class ever, so no. Lebron will likely win a championship at some point, Wade already has, carmello and hinrich are only a piece away from being able to get there.

That said though Oden is the guy I'd want because dominant big men are harder to come by. I see Durant as a KG type player, and the player of the 2 more ready to make the immediate contribution.

They're taking Oden, you'll get Durant.

Yes this draft has the potential to be better than 03, but that is still extremely unlikely.

As many have said, it really boils down to who you would rather have as a franchise, Tim Duncan or KG. Most would say Tim Duncan and the championships.

Oden goes to Portland.

Be content with Durant, I'm sure the world won't end.
(Maye you can even let Lewis go to FA and sign a big!)

well, i'll add my two cents into the mix here. i don't have nearly enough experience with either of these guys but i'm absurdly happy we are getting one of the two, regardless who it is.

the bottom line is Seattle (if they keep their franchise) are a considerably larger potential sports market than Portland. the sonics could easily build a quality team around either of these guys. i'm not sure it's completely closed and shut case when talking about Duncan vs. KG.

The reason I think Duncan is better than KG comes from how consistant his numbers are. Duncan gives you the same every night and that makes coaching a lot easier. But come on, Sota is a HORRIBLE market and KG never had anyone. Duncan isn't worlds better, but his teams have been just on another level totally and it's not all just because of Timmy "making people better"

If this guy Durant is as good as KG, man o man... having a player like that in a big market is something to consider because it's hard for me to believe that Oden is as good as Duncan.

That said, the Sonics have always tried to find a Big Man... that's what we always wanted. Outside Kemp, we've had NOONE in the paint for the last 15 years. We won our only title behind an All-Star (but not superstar) center, so it would lead me to believe they'd have a better chance of grabbing a gauranteed title with a guy like Oden.

On the other hand this Durant guy might be that type of dood that only comes around every once in a while. Bigger risk, but possibly bigger reward?

I guess none of this matters since the Sonics simply have to be reactive this time around.

Last edited:
well, i'll add my two cents into the mix here. i don't have nearly enough experience with either of these guys but i'm absurdly happy we are getting one of the two, regardless who it is.

the bottom line is Seattle (if they keep their franchise) are a considerably larger potential sports market than Portland. the sonics could easily build a quality team around either of these guys. i'm not sure it's completely closed and shut case when talking about Duncan vs. KG.

The reason I think Duncan is better than KG comes from how consistant his numbers are. Duncan gives you the same every night and that makes coaching a lot easier. But come on, Sota is a HORRIBLE market and KG never had anyone. Duncan isn't worlds better, but his teams have been just on another level totally and it's not all just because of Timmy "making people better"

If this guy Durant is as good as KG, man o man... having a player like that in a big market is something to consider because it's hard for me to believe that Oden is as good as Duncan.

That said, the Sonics have always tried to find a Big Man... that's what we always wanted. Outside Kemp, we've had NOONE in the paint for the last 15 years. We won our only title behind an All-Star (but not superstar) center, so it would lead me to believe they'd have a better chance of grabbing a gauranteed title with a guy like Oden.

On the other hand this Durant guy might be that type of dood that only comes around every once in a while. Bigger risk, but possibly bigger reward?

I guess none of this matters since the Sonics simply have to be reactive this time around.

Without speculating on how good each player will be, this is basically a Kobe vs Shaq argument. Which player wins championships without the other? You can compare Durant to Garnett, but how many championships has Garnett lead his team to; 0. I'd rather have a player slightly worse than Duncan who will win championships, than one slightly better than Garnett who wont. Oden may or may not reach Duncans level, but Duncan is considered possibly the best PF of all time, so its not really a fair comparison. Besides Duncan plays between a 4/5 and Oden is a pure 5, which is much harder position to fill. Dominating centers have proven to lead their teams to championships, pure forwards haven't.

I agree... but man watching the Spurs play is like watching paint dry.

these regular seasons are so long gotta keep it interesting, and also... Duncan doesn't win the title every year...

My kneejerk is to want Oden (sonics fan), but the more I look at Durant the more I begin to think he's a much better fit.

sure he is like an inch or two shorter, but he brings an inside/outside game and (more importantly) a sense of competitive urgency that this team has been sorely lacking. This kid needs to win and appears to be willing to whatever it takes to do so. Oden, while still competitive, seems a little more laid back.
That's why I think Durant will work out better. Defense? If D is what's needed he'll do it if it means winning the game.

If the supes can either re-sign Lewis or get something decent for him (pg? big?) then the sonics have a real shot at the playoffs.

edit: Portland and Seattle are both gonna be shopping some big names (Randolph, Lewis) for a quality starting pg. Both teams will be platooning two backup PGs (Ridnour + Watson in Seattle, Jack + Rodriguez in Portland) so look for a big trade from one (or both) of these teams for a PG like Kidd or Andre Miller.
in any event the NW just became one of the less pleasant road trips in the NBA.

Last edited:
i completely agree with you hudu about lewis... lewis has to go and a sign and trade would be the best thing for him (and his agent) as well as the supes. luke needs to go.

zach randolph is garbage, and he's perfect trade bait for a team that is destined to do great things with Roy and most likely Oden (along with Aldrige and a great coach in Nate "Mac-10")

Lewis doesn't have to go. He just needs to really want to stay if he does.

Think about Lewis and Durant starting next each other...
think about the mismatches....

btw: ESPN.com: TrueHoop

this could be the first and hopefully last seattle supersonics+portland trailblazers basketball super-thread on this site.

also why is sharpshooter still posting on TW? he should have requested a 3 month ban a week ago.

Back