[NBA Draft (revisited)] So everyone now says the balance of power is in the west...

Magus

Veteran XX
let's see... for those who are up in arms about there being a problem with the draft... time to take a look at the draft since LeBron

2003 Draft
1. Cleveland - East
2. Detrioit - East
3. Denver - West
4. Toronto - East
5. Miami - East

2004 Draft
1. Orlando - East
2. Charlotte - East
3. Chicago - East
4. Clippers - West
5. Wizards - East

2005 Draft
1. Milwaukee - East
2. Atlanta - East
3. Utah - West
4. NO - West (Kinda)
5. Charlotte - East

2006 Draft
1. Toronto - East
2. Chicago (by way of New York) - East
3. Charlotte - East
4. Portland - West
5. Atlanta - East

so 75% of the top 5 picks since LeBron has gone to the eastern conference... why exactly then is everyone up in arms about a "broken draft"; how much more fucking help does the east need to get decent? kinda absurd if you ask me... if they in fact change the system just because two teams that obviously decided to tank their seasons didn't get the top picks.

how is NO in the west kinda

you are in one conference to the exclusion of the other

seriously, please stop making basketball threads

secondly, people who have a problem with the draft dont have a problem with it because the west, the current dominant conference, lucked into two players who will keep the status quo going for years

they have a problem with it because the two worst teams didnt get it or for some other reason completely unrelated to the balance of power between conferences

Last edited:
well according to most analysts and writers, the issue is with it being bad for basketball because top players aren't getting into big eastern markets and the west is going to continue to get even better.

NO is in the west kinda because before the 05 season they were in the east (central) :shrug:

of course its going to be bad for basketball (or, at the very least, will dampen the positive effects of two marquee players)

the majority of the population lives in the east

3 of the major basketball cities (philly, boston, new york) happen to be in the east

the west coast, get this, is 3 hours behind the east coast

how is it good when the young crop of supposed franchise players are going to start at 10:30 when a huge chunk of your audience, and hence your revenue, are sleeping

having a problem with the draft itself and seeing detrimental results to the league as a result of a particular draft are entirely different things

Last edited:
all i read in guy's post is
wahwahwahwahwahwahwah

stfu. last time i checked, the heat and the pistons have won championships recently.
the west has always been superior as far as individual talent goes. kg, kobe, shaq, td, dirk, nash, etc. have been here for a long ass time (exception shaq trade). it's not new. you got lebron, wade, and bosh, and quite possibly the best draft class since 96. THREE franchise players. THREE TEAM USA PLAYERS. quit fucking whining.

well the sonics will be in Kansas City soon enough! ;) hah.

that's true... those are two different things, but people seem to think the draft needs to be fixed. i really don't think it does at all; i guess i feel something has to be done to prevent people from intentionally losing games.

seems like people get really into the draft lottery itself too, so who knows what will happen. it'll prolly get tweaked but that's about it.

but what cancer is saying is what i'm kinda touching on. i thought the east sorta got their big draft a few years back and looking back on the last few they got those too. then i turn on SNY and all these people are saying what a travesty the nba draft has become because the west just gets better and better... i think possibly the GMs in the west are just doing a better job. plus the east has been winning titles anyway.

Last edited:
where did i make an opinion cancer

i never said the draft was good or bad, that the east is terrible and the west is the savior of basketball (ok, i said the west was the dominant conference and any argument on this subject is entirely besides the point of the post... although who wins the championship in a particular year is not dispositive on which conference is dominant), or anything else that expresses any real thoughts of my own on basketball

saying i was whining is a complaint mischaracterization of the post

saying it was belligerent and uncalled for is probably more on target

i like how you talk about how it's not about the dominance of power or location of players and then go on to talk about not being able to see the top players because the east coast is asleep.

the nba has nothing to worry about as far as people watching. the east still has their stars, and the west has more. big deal. as long as star players are coming into the league, nobody will care.

And i like how you are entirely unable to distinguish seperate fucking concepts of draft as a system, the results of a particular draft pissing the public off, and how a players location could influence the nbas revenue.

first, no the nba has nothing to worry about as far as people watching. This doesnt mean that the two best players in the draft going to the northwest is going to be as beneficial to the nba had they gone to the northeast. Had they gone to the northeast more people would see them. So, thats detrimental to basketball. I never said it was going to be fatal or anything close to it. If you want to believe that the two big names in the draft going to the northwest is going to create as much revenue for the nba as it would for the northeast go ahead.

I also said that the problem people (this means "other people", had i meant me personally i would have said I) with the draft as a system and with the results of this years draft are distinct concepts. Equally distinct is the economic impact this has on the nba. Thats three different statements and only on the last one did I express any personally belief (if population size and nba support equallying revenue is a personal belief).

Once you learn to seperate concepts it becomes easy.

1) the people who have a problem with the draft as a system dont have a problem with dominance of power in a particular conference

2) the people who have a problem with the results of this draft do have a problem with dominance but, again, this is entirely different from issue number one

3) MORE PEOPLE PLUS MORE DENSITY PLUS MORE TEAMS PLUS MORE PASSION = MORE MONEY

jesus christ, magus got it and attempted to clarify his statements to meet my responses

Last edited:
Oh, would you east coast faggots stop whining about the time difference. 90% of the games worth watching in the NBA are either special weekly matchups aired at 8 EST or theyre during the day during the weekend, or theyre a playoff game which are tailored to be seen by all time zones.

And if you live on the East, youre not gonna see two west coast teams play anyway cause you wont have that game aired where you are unless you sign up for NBA TV or once again, its such a good matchup, TNT or ABC has decided to air it at a time for all time zones.

And if youre willing to pay for NBA TV, you may as well go get yourself a fuckin TiVo and watch it the next fuckin day if it bothers you so fuckin much! You dont hear west coast people bitch about not seeing east coast games that start when were still at school/work. (Not like we have any incentive of seeing an east coast game anyways. Fuck id rather just stab myself in the eye with chopsticks for 30 min)

my posts aren't about draft. they're addressing your statement about LOCATION, TIME, and TALENT being an issue. i get that the draft is seemingly unfair and the teams that do need the talent arent' getting it. at the same time, i like how the ping pong balls don't go their way and they get shafted. it's more of a karma thing - don't try to tank to get a franchise player. of course it worked for some teams, but luckily it doesn't work all the time.

for the past decade the west has always had the better players. staying up late for games isn't an issue, and isn't even worthy of being brought up. with the east winning championships, the people in the east always have somebody to root for no matter how bad the atlantic division is.

yes you will have more viewers in the east but it's obviously unfair to give the east a draft advantage. tell your managers to stop sucking and hire some competent bastards. in the end, there is no point of bringing up time/location. it has nothing to do with anything remotely important. i don't think stern was calculating how much more money he would make rigging the pick to go to NY(bigger city) instead of cleveland fucking ohio.

Karma will catch up with the Spurs though for tanking and getting Duncan. ;)

chances are after Duncan, the Spurs will be mired in the same type of pronlonged slump as the Celtics... hopefully 45-50 years. a century would honestly be a fitting reward.

Last edited:
Back