MSNBC article on game pricing

The only game I felt good about buying recently was raven shield. Most games just aren't worth 50 bucks, and I've yet to encounter an mmo game worth the monthly fee, much less the initial investment, save shattered galaxies. Too bad they gayed that up with 1.5.

NAT Mav said:
I'd pay a little more to purchase a game if it meant less pay-for-play bullshit.

yeah that extra 10 bucks would really cover the costs of keeping up servers and bandwidth and development for 5 - 8 years :rolleyes:

1. Gamers demand better graphics and more options in games
2. Games take more programming and become more complex
3. Gamers complain because prices are jacked up

:huh:

Void|deadjawa said:
1. Gamers demand better graphics and more options in games
2. Games take more programming and become more complex
3. Gamers complain because prices are jacked up

:huh:

They are talking about console gamers in the article though, and I really wouldn't call console games complex (playwise), PC gamers though, yeah I agree.

Last edited:
Buk Naked said:
Another interesting read is this gamespy article on 25 biggest gaming mistakes. My favorite is the gigantic Xbox controllers - http://www.gamespy.com/articles/june03/dumbestmoments/index9.shtml
I don't know about those goons, but I'm an american with giant american hands. I love the xbox controller. The tiny ps2 controller was designed by and for asians with tiny asian ..."features." :)

I think most people just don't like the stick being in the primary control position instead of the dpad, unlike the ps2 controller (this I also like, personally).

nullper said:
yeah that extra 10 bucks would really cover the costs of keeping up servers and bandwidth and development for 5 - 8 years :rolleyes:

1. they already own the servers and bandwidth
2. they keep up development on nonpay-to-play games.
3. haha 5-8 years, i highly doubt any game will have development that long.

DMAUL said:
1. they already own the servers and bandwidth
2. they keep up development on nonpay-to-play games.
3. haha 5-8 years, i highly doubt any game will have development that long.

1) servers yes (though they still need upgrades) bandwidth no, they rent it from the telecoms like everyone else
2) not to the same level as pay to play you got what 11 patches outta tribes (or something) in 3 years, then what? UO and EQ are still being tweaked to this day.
3) UO, EQ, Galaxies I'm sure will.

nullper said:
1) servers yes (though they still need upgrades) bandwidth no, they rent it from the telecoms like everyone else

but they would be renting it whether they made the pay-to-play game or not.

Back