[Movies]HEAT is a fucking phenomenal movie. Bow to it's greatness.

Le Sean

Veteran XV
At the start of 2009, Warner Brothers announced that several high-def film transfers would be released by years end including Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz. They also confirmed a long awaited transfer of Michael Mann's Heat.

The Wizard of Oz is out now. Gone With the Wind comes out in November 27th. Heat should be on November 10th.

let_it_bleed_001.png

"Sit there. Let it bleed."

Is anyone else looking forward to this? Heat has to be one of my favorite films; the plot and pacing are tight, the cinematography purposeful, the acting superb, and the themes are compelling and resonant.

You've got good guys...
good_guys.png

including Bubba Gump.
bubba.png

You've got Kain from Robocop 2. In a wheelchair! That's kind of like a robot...
robocop2_05.png

You've got bad guys...
bad_guys.png

including this goofy bastard.
that_fucking_guy.png

You've got one of the best shootouts ever filmed (soon to have remastered audio).
shoop.png

:scared:

You've got Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in not only the same movie, but one of the most intense and nuanced confrontations between cop and thief put on film:

diner_1.png

"You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down."

diner_2.png

"There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second."

You've got Angelina Jolie's dad, not giving a fuck. Look.
not_giving_a_fuck.png

You've got Danny Trejo.
Spoiler

You've got Apu from The Simpsons.
apu.png

You've got Ton Loc as an informant.
cbear.png

You've got Tom Sizemore playing Eminem at age 40.
relapse_2.png

You've got Val Kilmer. And he's good. He's actually good.
shootout_001.png

You've got President Palmer: grillman and wheelman.
david_palmer.jpg

You've got Henry Rollins. Sans neck.
lollins.png

And who could forget that prankster Natalie Portman.
Spoiler

Really, this movie has it all.
pacino.png

"Ferocious arn't I?"

If you have not seen this movie, you need Jesus.

Last edited:
ofn

only problem is it's so long, it's rare that I feel like sitting down and watching it

I actually hated the end initially, but after seeing the movie a few times it really sinks in. Apparently, in the original draft
Spoiler
That would have been sort of lame, don't you think?

Heat is like fine wine--it gets better with age and needs to be watched regularly. There are so many great shots in the movie, many of which are incredibly subtle and easy to miss the first time through.

Also, the BLURAY transfer is coming out. How can anyone not be excited? This is an Event.

I remember watching Heat with my dad when I was younger, and loving it because of the shootout scene. Now that I'm older, I went out and bought it after seeing at at Best Buy for 9.99. This movie was fucking amazing. I had no idea about all the great things this film had to offer. I still love the fucking shootout scene, it made me want to rob a bank as a kid haha. Fucking awesome, can't wait til it hits Blu Ray

One of my favorite scenes from the movie is near the beginning, when De Niro's character meets his love interest. The entire encounter is brisk and well acted, but the camera works well with the moods of the characters.

Di Nero begins by asking for the salt; the young woman obliges and asks him what he is reading:
what_.png

De Niro: "What?"

ead1.png

Woman: "What are you reading?"

come_on_2.png

De Niro: "Book about metals."

ead_2.png

Woman: "Stress fractures in Titanium? What kinda work you do?"

come_on_3.png

De Niro: "Lady, why you so interested in what I read or what I do?"

owned.png

Woman: "I seen you in the store from time to time..."
De Niro: "What store?"
Woman: "Lucy and Engles. I work there. You don't wanna talk to me that's ok. Sorry I bothered you."

rotate.png

rorate_oi.png

see_yaaa.png

seeya2.png

seeya3.png

seeya4.png

rotate_3.png

De Niro: I didn't mean to be rude, I didn't recognize you. I work in metals. I'm a salesman. My name's Neil.

fin.png

Eady: I'm Eady.

When De Niro walks in, he is all business. He is going to drink his coffee and study the important information of his trade--metals so that he can blow them up.

The entire time he is acting like a hardass to Eady, the camera is set behind them. Once Eady gets rejected and Neil realizes that she is genuinely curious in him, his career criminal veneer washes off as the camera swivels around the bar area. By the time they introduce themselves properly and for the rest of the scene, the camera shoots them from the front.

It's so simple that it's easy to not recognize, which is part of the beauty of the scene.

After this they go to her place and bone, but I'm not showing that.:finger:

Last edited:
A++ thread, would read again

A++ movie, would watch again

Remastered audio in glorious high definition, can't wait to see the shootout scene again. Drool.

Back